Camp Meeting Notes 2/3/19
We had a fun and productive camp meeting yesterday to kick off the year. Here are the highlights…
– Rosie will be our new camp exchequer! Camp fees will remain the same this year ($60/adult, $20/child age 6-13, free/child 5 and under), and can be given to Rosie in cash or check form for now. We are looking into the best way to receive digital payments for camp fees, so stay tuned on that!
– John Patrick and Rosie will once again order firewood for us if they get a spot on staff this year. This was a HUGE help last year as our firewood was ready to go for us once we got on site.
– We will once again be hosting the Known World Players rehearsal on middle Saturday (August 3) at 5pm.
– Period games and music night will *tentatively* be held on middle Sunday, pending confirmation of the date for the EK Bardic Expo)
– EK Court has been confirmed for War Week Tuesday (per Facebook, so not necessarily set in stone)
– As a heads up to anyone that knew him, Lord Karl Drakken, the gentleman who camped on our corner in Haus Drakken’s Lager, passed away this fall after suffering from several health issues. Drakken Lager does plan on coming back this year.
– Mael Eoin is interested in organizing a camp cooking fire (separate from the main camp fire). This would involve donating space and money for firewood. As this is still in the beginning planning stages, please contact Mael Eoin if this is something you are interested in.
Three big topics that came up, which will require further discussion…
– The charging station last year was unorganized and often tripped the circuit breakers due to too many phones being plugged in, or to the station overheating. This year there will only be ONE surge protector in the charging station.
– The use of this charging station is a PRIVILEGE given to us by the Cooper’s Lake staff as it takes up significant space on our block. If we abuse the privilege, they will take it away from us.
– We will create a list of rules for the charging station that will be posted on the box as well as in common space. Possible ideas include phones requiring named labels and if they are not labeled, they can be unplugged; looking into making a charging schedule; sign-in sheet?
– If you have a CPAP or other medical device that needs to be charged, it MUST go through disability. If Disability Services finds an unregistered device plugged into our outlet, they will unplug it. These devices also were tripping the breakers last year by pulling too much power.
– Creation of camp chore as Charging Station Warden? someone to check on charged/unlabeled phones, make sure station isn’t overheated or breaker tripped
BREAKDOWN WEEKEND TRASH
– This was a huge problem last year as three people were left to take a lot of trash to the dumpsters on the last Sunday.
– Land office drives around on Sunday and takes pictures of blocks that have trash left on them – we could be kicked off the block if there is trash left
– If there is stuff you don’t want anymore, DO NOT LEAVE IT IN CAMP because “Someone might want it.” Put it *next to* the dumpsters on Friday or Saturday with a sign that says “Free to a good home” and I guarantee someone will take it. Leaving it in camp only makes more of a mess for the last people on site to clean up
– If you need help taking trash to the dumpster, ASK SOMEONE. A lot of us have wagons and would be glad to help take trash. On the flip side of this, if someone asks you for help, please try to help if you are able. We all benefit from working together to keep our block clean
– Creation of camp chore of Groundskeeper? Significant cut on camp fees; someone who stays till the end to check the land; each person would check in with Groundskeeper before leaving site to ensure their space is trash-free?
– Someone take time-stamped picture of our block Saturday night? Is it possible people from other camps are dumping their stuff on our land on Sunday? Too much trash left on Sunday to be accounted for by the people who stayed on site Saturday night
CAMP WISH LIST
– A few things we could use to improve camp, things that have gotten old, etc
Canvas for shower walls – Sunforger can be purchased for $225, Chana can sew it
More tiki torches around camp – metal ones?
New chandeliers for common tent – wooden rings?
New camp wagon that fits on truck ramp (2’2″ width) to carry portable holes, etc
We will have a camp financial meeting to talk about these possible purchases within the next month or two.
I have spoken to most of you to confirm if you’re coming back to camp with us this year – if you have not gotten in touch with me about it, please do so. After I confirm with you, you can go ahead and pre-register on the Cooper’s Lake website. We are listed as Barony Bhakail.
I have revamped the camp form, and I would request that I get a completed one from EVERYONE this year. We need to make sure we have the correct information, so I won’t be able to accept “My info is the same as last year.” I apologize in advance for the inconvenience, but I promise it’ll make setup go that much easier. Link to the new camp form is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JfLHb1sDHcHcSuDvmzQngYgwAfPzCb75mSVxsxEFx54/edit?usp=sharing and you can either email it to me or give me a hard copy. Please read through the first two pages for important information.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
– Chana Freidl the Maker –
Camp Master, Barony of Bhakail
PS – Mael Eoin’s cook fire project is now to be known as “Michael’s Side Hustle” and Mistress Sabine’s new band name is Scooby Doo Exploits.