Baronial Business


The Salamander Newsletter, Meeting notes, and Officer reports.

September 2018 Business Meeting and Officer Reports

Old Business

Open Positions

  • Chronicler position open, only Cailin running for it.  After a vote, Cailin was voted in, will start next month
  • Chamberlain position is open, only one candidate put in a petition.  We will not vote without them there, and that person still needs to put in a letter of intent.  If you are interested in the position, please put in a letter of intent to the Seneschal

New Site for Meetings

  • Stage One will be closing before the end of the year, so we need new a new site for meetings, heavy fighters, and rapier
  • Please start looking around for other options, email suggestions to Seneschal
  • We can find a social space without the fighters
  • We can hold fundraisers for the site fee if we find it to be high
  • The idea was brought up that it is ok to hold social in someone’s home, but having a neutral space makes it easier for newcomers to feel welcome
  • Elanora has a lead at Broomall library, but libraries may close their meeting rooms early

Tavern 2019

  • Bid submitted by Chana, with dayboard provided by Maryna
  • Bid will be reviewed by council of exchequer

Yule 2018

  • Still need championship info before putting up event announcement
  • Paypal link is live
  • Menus are still under construction: Jibril’s dayboard will be Turkish/Arabian, and feast will take us across the trade route from India, southeast Asia, Persia, and Italy
  • Event is now opposite of K&Q Rapier, so we’re anticipating a loss in attendance
  • Member cost will be $18, non-member $23, and feast is $12

Zip Code Committee

  • Official proposal from the Bailiwick – asking the Barony to turn over 5 zip codes to the Bailiwick (19123, 19131, 19146, 19148, 19151
  • Hartshornedale and Buckland Cross have not reached out to us
  • Martyn will draw up a new map

Bylaws Committee

  • Defunct because the chairperson resigned
  • Closer to Yule, Mael Eoin might “refunct” it – we need to review the bylaws eventually (it’s in our bylaws to do so)

Champions and Commons

  • Bhakail has new champions and so does Hartshornedale!
  • There was so much food
  • 88 people, 12 minors, and we made about $35
  • Of note for next year – we need a permit to use that site for fighting, as we are hosting a “sporting event”.  This permit costs $25 and can be obtained in person or over the phone
  • Ysmay will happily talk to people who are interested in running this event next year to let them know about it

Pennsic

  • Two major issues – charging and cleaning up
  • CPAP machines cannot be charged in our charging station – it trips the breaker, so no one else’s things can charge.  All CPAPs need to be registered through Disability so you can be assigned a charging space
  • Lots of trash at the end
  • People need to take responsibility of their own things in common areas
  • Maybe have a common space that’s labeled as such?  A table or a shelf for things that people donate to common?  How to police it?

River Wars

  • Bhakail will hold a Thrown Weapons Championship
  • If you want to camp as a group, let Master Collin Monroe know, give him tent info

 

New Business

Media Halloween Parade – October 27th at 2pm

  • Contact Rowen if interested
  • Suggested that the group travels down to Caer Adamant’s Banshee Bardic afterwards

Curia

  • Another one is coming
  • Changes to current law are mostly repairs to grammer, word changes, spelling
  • Few changes to create gender neutral titles
  • How to define Tir Mara, who rules it

Yule 2019

  • Need to start soliciting bids
  • You can follow Martyn around all day to learn about it
  • Runi – “Can we call it ‘Yule love it!?!’”
  • Group of people already interested in cooking

Need to start thinking about roles for Pennsic (camp master), who’s running Commons, etc

 

Officer Reports

Knight Marshall

  • New practice format is working well – warm up together and work on specific drills
  • Commons was great
  • At River War – torchlight tourney for Baronial Champions

Coronets

  • Forgot a piece of business at Commons, held a “micro-mini-mini” court to award a Flame of Bhakail to Ysmay for her hard work running Commons
  • Come to River Wars to throw for Champions
  • Commons happened, there were lots of awards
  • Pennsic happened, there were lots of awards
  • Bhakail sponsored two youth fighters at Pennsic
  • Thorsten threw in Baronial thrown weapons tourney and “did not come in last!” (which was his goal)

Seneschal

  • Little bit of time before Yule – use it to revitalize, don’t get burnt out
  • Go to events you WANT to go to

MOAS

  • Weekly A&S nights on Thursdays
  • If you have specific requests for garb workshops, contact Elanora
  • On alternate Tuesdays, the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust will be hosting a Scriptorium (drop-in scribal workshop) – contact Maryna (Blueberry) with questions

Chronicler

  • It’s Cailin now!

Herald

  • Report is online
  • If you put in paperwork at the consulting tables at Pennsic, TELL RAGNA (Melanie) – mundane names are not used on those papers so she cannot track your progress unless you tell her to

MoL

  • Thank you to the Barony for providing ice to the youth fighters at Pennsic
  • Shire Wars is in October – come to it
  • Commons – many people approached Ysmay throughout the day to compliment the MoL

Chamberlain

  • The Barony still has stuff!
  • List of necessary equipment for Yule has been submitted

Chatelaine

  • The Barony still has newcomers!
  • Mistress Philadelphia has made us aware of a budget to make new Gold Key – Chana would appreciate help in creating new items such as tabards, tunics, skirts, pants, etc
  • Event board at Ducal Challenge detailing the day, with pictures of autocrat, chatelaine, etc…  Chana will make one of these boards to be used at Yule

Webminister

  • The internet is not broken!
  • Check your email!
  • Officers can now update the Bhakail calendar (if you have problems, contact Runi)
  • Bailiwick now has a calendar that works

Exchequer

  • Carrying $119 for years for Gold Key – specific to making new garb
  • $106 to support the Bhakail Army, some tabards were made from this fund for Pennsic

Ivyeinrust

  • New officers!  Penn undergrad has become chatelaine, Maryna has become herald
  • Philly stepped down as webminister and is now chamberlaine
  • Demo – huge thank you to Maryna and Livia – fall activities fair for the freshman, they handed out cards with upcoming events on them
  • Business meetings are now Monday nights

Combat Archery Marshall

  • Pennsic – officially part of the Southern Region Army – about half of the Southern Region archers were Bhakailis
  • Contacted by Captain of Her Highness’s Guard to provide archers to the guard because of how well we acquitted ourselves at Pennsic.  Jibril, Cailin, and Chana will join Her Highness’s guard when she steps up to the throne
  • Southern Region was awarded the Blue Tyger Legion for their fighting prowess at Pennsic
  • New archers are incoming, will be putting together classes on technique, armor, etc
  • Possibility of creating Baronial ammo for use by Bhakaili archers

Chatelaine Report – September 2018

Since Pennsic, we have welcomed a couple newcomers to the Barony, along with helping some of our more established newcomers find their niche in the society.  It seems our newcomers recently have been both of the creative and martial sort – we have gained both dedicated fighters as well as artists.

Mistress Philadelphia has informed me that a budget has existed for several years to be used for new Gold Key construction.  I plan on sifting through the current Gold Key for pieces that can leave the collection, and would love assistance making some new items.  We are particularly low on women’s garb and simple pieces – tunics, skirts, pants, etc.  If anyone would like to help in the planning or construction of new garb, please let me know.

In addition to new garb, I would like to create an event board to be displayed next to the troll table at events.  If anyone attended Ducal Challenge in the Barony of Settmour Swamp, you would have seen this green board, which listed everything happening that day.  Along with the schedule, a dayboard menu, and a brochure for newcomers, pictures of the autocrat, dayboard coordinator, and chatelaine were posted, making it easier for guests to find these people if needed.  I plan to have this board completed before Yule.


Salamander Pursuivant’s Report, 2018-07

Anyone interested in producing scrolls for future Baronial Courts is welcome to contact me.

Heraldic Submissions

If you have submitted an item to the College for review via another consulting herald, please let me know what name you are submitting it under so that the progress of your items can be included on future versions of this report.

From the Eastern Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI) – This letter includes all new names and devices that have been submitted to the Eastern College of Heralds in the last month. It takes about two months for items to reach the next stage, the Eastern Letter of Decision.

July 2018:

— Iriniia Mieszkowa’s has submitted a new name (Iriniia Mieszkowa).

— Rúni inn írski has submitted a new name (Rúni inn írski).

From the Eastern Letter of Decision (LoD) – This letter reports what items will be forwarded to Laurel to be decided on and what will be returned to the submitter for more work. It takes about six more months for submissions to reach the next stage, the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns.

May 2018:

— No names or devices which I immediately recognized as belonging to the Barony appeared on this letter.

From the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR) – This letter says what items have been accepted by SCA’s College of Arms and what has been returned to the submitter unregistered.

May 2018:

— The Barony of Bhakail’s new order name (Order of the Crucible of Bhakail) and new badge ((Fieldless) On a flame Or a heart gules) was accepted. A special congratulations to Mistress Philadelphia Brown, the premier of the Order!

— Eldrich Gaiman’s new badge ((Fieldless) A skirt of chainmail argent) was accepted.

If you are currently unsure of the status of your name or device, please contact me and I will provide you with an update.

Pennsic

For those who are attending Pennsic, consulting tables should be available on site. However, please be aware that due to the number of submissions received, it may not be possible for the consulting heralds to keep you updated on the progress of your names and devices. Please let me know if you submit something while there, in case you have questions about where it is in the process or in the event that the College has questions or needs to request a change to your paperwork.

In service,
Ragna Grímólfsdóttir

 


Salamander Pursuivant’s Report, 2018-06

Anyone interested in producing scrolls for future Baronial Courts is welcome to contact me.

Heraldic Submissions

If you have submitted an item to the College for review via another consulting herald, please let me know what name you are submitting it under so that the progress of your items can be included on future versions of this report.

From the Eastern Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI) – This letter includes all new names and devices that have been submitted to the Eastern College of Heralds in the last month. It takes about two months for items to reach the next stage, the Eastern Letter of Decision.

May 2018:

— No names or devices which I immediately recognized as belonging to the Barony appeared on this letter.

From the Eastern Letter of Decision (LoD) – This letter reports what items will be forwarded to Laurel to be decided on and what will be returned to the submitter for more work. It takes about six more months for submissions to reach the next stage, the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns.

May 2018:

— Mýrún Leifsdóttir’s new name (Mýrún Leifsdóttir) and device (Sable, an owl contourny maintaining a twig bendwise argent fructed Or) were forwarded on to Laurel.

From the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR) – This letter says what items have been accepted by SCA’s College of Arms and what has been returned to the submitter unregistered.

April 2018:

— Juliana Bird’s new name (Juliana Bird) and device (Per pale nebuly argent and azure, a bird volant and a harp counterchanged) have been accepted.
— Ragna Grímólfsdóttir’s new name (Ragna Grímólfsdóttir) and device (Argent, in pale two wolves courant counter-courant sable) have been accepted with changes.

March 2018:

— No names or devices which I immediately recognized as belonging to the Barony appeared on this letter.

If you are currently unsure of the status of your name or device, please contact me and I will provide you with an update.

For those who are considering submitting a name or device to the College, I strongly recommend doing so by the end of this month. An extremely high volume of new submissions are received every Pennsic, which affects the timeline of responses for several months thereafter.

In service,
Ragna Grímólfsdóttir


Coronet Report – June 2018

To the Barony of Bhakail, the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust, and their friends and neighbors, from Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba, greetings and wishes of good health!

Barony Beyond the Mountain Investiture – 5/19/18

We traveled to BBM to see Our Cousins, Dorigen of Lewes and Eloise of Coulter step down, and Our new Cousins, Mark Red Hand and Gwenllian ferch Llewelyn Invested as the new Baron and Baroness Beyond the Mountain. We met with the incoming Baron and Baroness, along with the rest of House Runnymede, and gave them a gift of an embroidered table runner made by Lady Rosaiea Posaiea.

Hunter’s Picnic – 5/26/18

We joined friends in the Shire of Caer Adamant at Hunter’s Picnic, a small and very friendly afternoon stewarded by Baroness Mari Clock van Hoorne and Lady Mairi Crawford. Baroness Suba joined the discussions at the Athena’s Thimble solar. Eirani inn Sporr was the Head Cook and set out a delicious lunch with help from Lady Mairi Crawford, Lord Sean O’Morain, Mistress Hedewigis Ockenfussin, and Lord Hallbjorn Tryggvason. Thank you to our friends in Caer Adamant for a fine day!

King’s & Queen’s Armored Champions / Sommer Draw – 6/2/18

After traveling to the Barony of Bergental, we stepped out of our roles as Baron and Baroness and helped herald the tourney to choose the new Armored Champions. Vivant to the Honorable Lord Arne Ulrichson, newest King’s Champion, and to the Honorable Lord Ozurr the Boot-Giver, newest Queen’s Champion!

Upcoming Event – Iron Bog Investiture / King’s & Queen’s Archery Champions – 6/16/18

We plan to travel to the Barony of Iron Bog to see Our Cousin Creatura Christi of Oaks step down and Our new Cousins and friends of the Barony, Declan Gobha and Aibhilin inghean ui Phaidin, Invested as the Baron and Baroness.

Upcoming Event – Barren Sands Demo – 6/23/18-6/24/18

The Barony has been asked to help staff a demo being held by the Shire of Barren Sands. The demo will be held at the Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center, 1000 Village Dr, Millville, NJ 08332. They will need help staffing the demo both Saturday and Sunday. The site is open to the public from 10am to 5pm on both days. Camping is available at the site. This demo is not currently listed on the EK Calendar and details are only available on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/events/191477601368406/

Upcoming Event – Pennsic – 7/28/18-8/12/18

As we get closer to Pennsic, we will be discussing with the camp the options for hosting both Filk Night and Period Games & Music night. Filk Night is traditionally held on middle Friday. Period Games & Music is traditionally held on Tuesday of War week, however, this year EK Court will be held that night. We have spoken to Our Cousins of the Barony of Flaming Gryphon in the Midrealm. They would like to continue our ongoing chess match at PG&M, so we are considering holding that party on Sunday night this year. We will also be holding a brief Court at Pennsic, though the date and time haven’t been confirmed yet. We were considering doing it a half-hour before we are to line up for Opening Ceremonies.

Upcoming Event – Champions and Commons – 8/26/18

We will be choosing our new Baronial Armored Champion, Ladies’ Armored Champion, Baronial Rapier Champion, and Ladies’ Rapier Champion at this event. We are looking forward to an excellent day of fighting. We will also be holding Order meetings for the Salamander and the Horse. We are also planning to hold a sizable Court, so that Our Court at Yule will be shorter in case it becomes a Royal Progress. We encourage everyone from the Barony to join us at Commons and spend the day.

Retiring Officer – Chronicler

Please note that the Barony is searching for a new Chronicler. We would thank Lady Lianor de Matos for her service and for continuing in the role as we look for someone new to manage this office. For Lianor, Vivat!

Retiring Officer – Chamberlain

We would like to thank Lord Martyn de Haliwell for his service to the Barony as Chamberlain! Your efforts organizing, storing, and moving the Barony’s property have been well done and much appreciated! Vivat!

In closing

Thank you all for your efforts with the Barony. Everyone’s positive actions, from participating in fight practice, to crafting, to helping run the daily life and events of the Barony, enriches us. We appreciate all you offer. Until next month,

Pray know we remain,

 – Rowen and Suba


May 2018 Officer Reports and Meeting Notes

We opened at 8:00pm.

OLD BUSINESS

  • Pennsic

Chana reported – There is one week left to pre-reg to stay with Bhakail if you stayed with Bhakail last year. Please do so soon. We are going to be very full this year. There will be another meeting soon, after the first weekend in June. Camp fees go to Suba.

  • Philadelphia Renaissance Fair

Chana reported – There was a demo this past weekend. There were a few small organization issues since this is a new faire, but it went very well. We have already gotten an email from a contact made there. There was a huge draw from the fighters. We have been unofficially invited back for next year. 

  • EK 50 Year

Bryan is looking to put together some stuff for the history demo, but that involves arriving early to set things up, on Wednesday. Rosie and John Patrick have volunteered to be there Wednesday to set up the Barony’s history booth. There was some confusion about registering Bhakail as a camping group, so arrangements weren’t made. There will not be a Bhakail camp. People from the Barony who wish to camp may wish to reach out to the Tadcasters or the Shire of Barren Sands.

  • Bylaw Ammendments

At the April meeting, Baron Rowen had proposed striking sections XV.A and XV.B of the Bylaws, which discussed mandatory quarterly Baronial Council meetings. The sections were read to the meeting. The floor was opened to discussion about striking these sections. It was suggested that we not have things in the Bylaws that we don’t need. It was brought up that the Baronial Council was created to take care of business that was not getting done at business meetings. However, business has been getting done at the meetings. Additionally, we have not had a Baronial Council in some time and this has not affected the operation of the Barony. It was suggested that, rather than removing the whole section, we only remove the requirement to hold it quarterly and instead have language calling for it as needed. It was pointed out that sections defining the Baronial Council can’t easily be removed, as the definition is necessary in other sections of the bylaws discussing how to deal with possible issues with the Seneschal or Coronets. It is also mentioned in other places in the bylaws.

There was also a motion to change the wording throughout the Bylaws from Greater Officers and Lesser Officers, as defined in Section III.A and III.B, to Required Officers and Additional Officers. There must be a suggested wording change for the Bylaws for this amendment to be enacted.

Muin proposed that the two opinions be written up for presentation at next months meeting where we will continue the debate. Lianor seconded and a majority voted to approve this.

  • Fighting Tabards

Rosie said they are coming along nicely. Five or six are halfway done. 

  • Barren Sands Demo

This will be June 23 and 24. If anyone is available and interested there will be free admission for SCA people and there is weekend camping. They are checking on above ground fires. We will be sharing the space with LARPers. Wet site after the demo for the day is over. They would like to have A&S, fighting and fencing.

  • Commons and Champions

Sabine is looking at putting together a bid for this event. The bards have requested a bardic track. It may be the case that the Coronets need to choose a new bardic champion, as the current one is moving to Michigan. 

  • Zip Code Committee

We have received a much expanded request for zip codes from the Bailiwick which is going in for review. A map was circulated so we could see what things were being requested. The committee will come up with recommendations to present.

  • Officers needed

Martyn will be stepping down and the office of Chamberlain will be vacant as of June. While not a required office, this is a useful office for the Barony as the is a good bit of Baronial property to keep track of. A request has been made for Letters of Intent. Those interested should speak to Muin and Martyn.

Lianor wishes to step down as Chronicler as soon as a replacement can be found. Chronicler is a required office for the Barony. A request has been made for Letters of Intent. Those interested should speak to Muin and Lianor.

NEW BUSINESS

  • BoD Commentary

Board of Directors has requested commentary on a new Mission Statement which can be found here – http://socsen.sca.org/request-for-commentary-mission-statement/

The BoD has also requested commentary on proposed anti-hate speech language found here – http://socsen.sca.org/request-for-comments-hate-ban-language/

  • Yule 2018

Martyn has a bid proposal ready to go to the financial committee before the June meeting. There has only been one change from last year and that is to hire a professional cleaning crew to come in after the event. The amount would be between $350 and $400. This would be the cleaning crew from St. Kevin’s which was used after Baronial Investiture in 2017. Several people agreed that this would be a great idea. Site fee would probably to up a dollar. John Marshall organizing the food for the day.

  • Hunter’s Picnic in Caer Adamant

Caer Adamant has an archery, thrown weapons, and armored combat event coming up, Hunter’s Picnic, on May 26.

  • New Heirs to the EK

Vivant to the new Prinz and Princess, Wilhelm and Vienna!

OFFICER REPORTS

  • Coronets

Rowen and Suba reported – Report was posted online and can be found here – http://bhakail.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/index.php/2018/06/06/coronet-report-may-2018/

  • Seneschal

Muin reported – Self care, people! He has noticed quite a few Bhakailis looking like they are on the edge of burning themselves out. It’s great to do a lot of things for the Barony and for the other local groups and to be at every event, but take a little bit of time for yourself and do some self care. Because a burnt out Bhakaili is not our goal. We would rather you miss the occasional event and see you at more events in the long run, than to never see you again. Just a personal opinion.

  • Herald

Ragna reported – The Herald’s report is available on the website here – http://bhakail.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/index.php/2018/05/08/salamander-pursuivants-report-2018-05/

  • Knight Marshal

Vachir reported – The Philly Ren Fair was great and a lot of people were interested. Fighter practice is going great. Fighters have been moving outside, if we would like to switch to the smaller room. Vashir took Will as a man-at-arms at the Ren Faire.

  • Rapier Marshal

No report

  • Captain of Combat Archers

Jibril reported – Bring your combat archery gear and armor next week, so we can shoot at the fighters. They will also help finish up not done kits.

  • Exchequer

Philadelphia reported – All the “Dedicated Funds” have been recently reviewed. The activities which are being supported have received the money or at least are aware of the money earmarked for them.

The next project is contacting everyone who has an outstanding uncashed check from the Barony. If the checks aren’t cashed after 3 years, we’re supposed to escheat the money to the government. (If the check has been lost, we’ll reissue a new one.)

Site rental deposits have been paid for Champions & Commons to be held on Sunday, 8/26/18, and Yule Revel to be held on Saturday, 12/8/18.

Bhakail received a (whopping) $0.35 as settlement from the TD Bank “penny arcade” lawsuit.

  • Chamberlain

Martyn reported – The Barony has stuff, and I am in need of a replacement. Nominations for Chamberlain are open. Olease reach out with any questions!

  • Chronicler

Lianor reported – I am still seeking a replacement for the office of Chronicler. Please let Lianor or Muin as the Seneschal know if you are willing to take this position.

  • Minister of Arts and Sciences

Hrafnhildr reported – A&S at Ellen’s has restarted on Thursday nights, starting around 6:30pm. Caer Adamant has some A&S things coming up as well, including a July 4th silk banner painting workshop.

  • Minister of the Lists

No report.

  • Chatelaine

Chana reported – Bhakail is still gathering newcomers, and we love having them!  Our demo at the Philadelphia Renaissance Faire was a huge draw, people loved watching the fighters and crafters, and have expressed interest in joining our fine Society.  With fighting/camping season coming, we hope to bring our newcomers to some weekend events and get them to see the breadth of what the SCA has to offer!  For those who have expressed interest in combat archery, we will now be starting practices during socials on Tuesday nights.  Hooray for warm weather!

  • Chancellor Minor

Rosie reported – If you want any type of youth activities, let me know.

  • Webminister

Runi reported – We have a website. We have set up people with emails, and the officers list is working again. There are a few comments that we deleted since they were spam. It was noted that we should archive the Canton of Black Icorndall’s social media and website pages, as well as move the information about the Social to the Barony’s website.

  • Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust

Martyn reported – Information on Ivyeinrust’s meeting can be found on the Bailiwick’s website – http://ivyeinrust.eastkingdom.org/april-2018-bailiwick-meeting-minutes-summary/

Meeting closed at 9:18pm


Coronet Report – May 2018

Greetings and all good things to the Barony of Bhakail and the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust and those others who read these words, from Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba!

Balfar’s Challenge – 4/21/18

Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba attended Balfar’s Challenge in the Barony of Dragonship Haven. There was word from the Court of Their Majesties, Brennan III and Caoilfhionn III. Lady Aurelia Alfaiata d’Alcacova was inducted into the Order of the Maunche! Vivat! There was also word from the Court of Their Excellencies Dragonship Haven, Joseph and Brose. They have given Their Barony’s Award of the Fiskur, a service token, to Lord Morwill MacShane, Lady Triona MacCaskey, and Lord Kamejima Matasaburou Takauji called Taka. Vivant!

Scribal Schola in the Shire – 4/28/18

Baroness Suba had a wonderful time learning new skills in calligraphy and illumination and was pleased to help our neighbors in the Shire of Caer Adamant in supporting their event. It is hoped that this event will happen again. Regretfully, modern obligations prevented Baron Rowen from attending.

Philly Ren Faire Demo – 5/5/18-5/6/18

Baron Rowen attended the demo held at the Philadelphia Renaissance Faire. Baroness Suba was unable to be there, as She was attending to obligations at Crown Tourney.. We would like to thank everyone who came out to support this demo. In addition to our Barony, we were aided by residents of Iron Bog, Barren Sands, and Hartshorn-dale, and we very much appreciated their support. We had armored fighters, rapier fighters, musicians, and artisans working on many types of crafts. We feel we had a good showing, particularly on Saturday, and would like to thank Maitresse Sabine de Kerbriant for organizing the Barony’s participation both days.

In addition, Our Knight Marshal, Baron Vachir Arslajin took Wilhelm Grün as his Man-at-Arms at the Demo on Saturday. Vivant to Vachir and Wilhelm!

Crown Tournament – 5/5/18

Baroness Suba was pleased to attend the East Kingdom Crown Tourney in the Barony of Ruantallan. Vivant to our new Prince and Princess, Sir Wilhelm von Ostenbrücke and Mistress Vienna de la Mer! In addition, friends of the Barony were also competitors. Baron Fearghus O’Conchobhair competed for crown and for the honor of Baroness Christina Jenevra de Carvalhal.

The Scribal Art of Bhakailis and Friends

The works of the the scribes of Bhakail and its friends continue to be displayed in Royal Court. We have heard that given out were scrolls created by Lady Triona MacCaskey, Lady Mairi Crawford, Lady Mýrún Leifsdóttir, Lady Shoshana Gryffyth, and Baroness Mari Clock van Hoorne.

Board of Directors Seeks Commentary

There are two issues on which the Board of Directors of the SCA is seeking input.

The SCA Board of Directors is seeking commentary on their proposed language addressing hate speech. http://socsen.sca.org/request-for-comments-hate-ban-language/

Commentary on a new SCA Mission Statement and Statement of Core Values is sought by the Board of Directors. http://socsen.sca.org/mission-core-board-request-for-commentary-revised-mission-statement-and-core-values/

If you have input you wish to give on these issues, please contact the BoD via the links above.

First Year

As we come up to the end of our first year as Baron and Baroness, we cannot thank the Barony enough for the support you have shown us and the enthusiasm you show for the Barony and the SCA. You each make us proud to be Bhakailis. Waauugghh, Bhakail!

 

Pray know we remain,

 – Rowen and Suba


Salamander Pursuivant’s Report, 2018-05

Anyone interested in producing scrolls for future Baronial Courts is welcome to contact me.

Heraldic Submissions

If you have submitted an item to the College for review via another consulting herald, please let me know what name you are submitting it under so that the progress of your items can be included on future versions of this report.

From the Eastern Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI) – This letter includes all new names and devices that have been submitted to the Eastern College of Heralds in the last month. It takes about two months for items to reach the next stage, the Eastern Letter of Decision.

April 2018:

— No names or devices which I immediately recognized as belonging to the Barony appeared on this letter.

From the Eastern Letter of Decision (LoD) – This letter reports what items will be forwarded to Laurel to be decided on and what will be returned to the submitter for more work. It takes about six more months for submissions to reach the next stage, the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns.

April 2018:

— No names or devices which I immediately recognized as belonging to the Barony appeared on this letter.

From the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR) – This letter says what items have been accepted by SCA’s College of Arms and what has been returned to the submitter unregistered.

February 2018:

— sekh Neswennefer’s name and device have been accepted, with artist’s notes included.

If you are currently unsure of the status of your name or device, please contact me and I will provide you with an update.

For those who are considering submitting a name or device to the College, I strongly recommend doing so in the next month or so. An extremely high volume of new submissions are received every Pennsic, which affects the timeline of responses for several months thereafter.

In service,
Ragna Grimólfsdóttir


April 2018 Officer Reports and Meeting Notes

Meeting opened at 8:00 pm

OLD BUSINESS

  • Donations to the Site for Social

We need to get better about giving/getting donations for the site. We are losing about $600 a year. We should plan a fundraiser to supplement donations. We could set up a smaller scale version of the EK travel fund auctions. We could hold a tavern type event with the proceeds going toward this fund. We should also make sure we set aside that money budgeted in our Baronial funds in case it is needed.

  • Pennsic

Chana reported – Bhakail deadline for previous campers with Bhakail is coming up in about a month. May 15th. Pre-reg before this date. If you do not registration will be opened to others who have not camped with us last year. There may be another meeting at the beginning of June.

  • Philadelphia Ren Faire

Sabine reported – They are promising that this year they are on top of stuff and that we will have space and be taken care of this year. We are looking to do the weekend of May 5th. It seems like our contact knows what we will need regarding space. There is camping available. They have secure storage for non-period looking tents during the day. They are offering food comps. If you would like to participate Sabine is the contact person. She will be sending around information about the restrictions. There was a vote on who is able to commit and thinks this was a good idea, and about 7 people said they would be able to go.

  • Zip Code Committee

No news.

  • EK 50 Year

Who is going who is able to man the booth for Bhakail, as well as set up and tear it down? It is requested that some one be there, but it is not required. We are not sure how long the booth will be up and how long it should be manned, though it sounds like it is 9 to 5 Thurs through Sat, and 9 to 3 on Sunday. Nothing can be taken down until after 3 on Sunday. There is camping, but be sure to read the restrictions involved. There are about 8 people thinking of going, and talk of setting up a Baronial encampment. This would need to be registered as a group ahead of time.

  • Bylaws Amendments

Rowen proposed – “I move that the bylaws be amended to strike the section XVa to XVb that requires there be monthly separate Baronial Council closed meetings in its entirety.” Gisela motioned and Muin seconded to amend the bylaws, striking the requirement for quarterly officer meetings. It was voted unanimously to go forward with this.

There was also a motion to change the wording from Greater and Lesser Officers to Required Officers and Other Officers. This may also involve what our Barony requires as quorum. Ragna motioned to investigate this options, Judith seconded, and it was voted to move forward.

  • Fighting Tabards

Rosie and Alecia have volunteered to create fighting tabards and would like details on what should go on them. They should match the ones we have. Details will be sent along to them. They will seek reimbursement from the army funds.

NEW BUSINESS

  • Bylaws Committee

Martyn has stepped down as head of the bylaws committee.

  • Baronial Chamberlain

Martyn will be stepping down in June as Chamberlain. If you would like to be chamberlain, please send the Seneschal a Letter of Intent. This not a required by Kingdom office, but it is a great one to have for the organizing of stuff.

  • Baronial Chronicler

Lianor is stepping down as Chronicler and this office is required. Please submit Letters of Intent to the Seneschal. Most of what is required is to take minutes and make sure they are publicized to the barony and sent to Kingdom Chronicler.

  • Barren Sands Demo

June 2nd and 3rd at the Wheaton Arts center. Demo will be shared with the Mystic Realms LARP. There is camping space. We would need to let them know in advance if we are camping. SCA people in garb will be admitted free. There will be fighting demos. This is opposite Artisan’s Village in Buckland Cross.

  • Bailiwick Class

Natsu, the Mongolian student studying at Temple, will be giving a class on medieval Mongolian script before he heads home. Sunday afternoon on Penn’s campus.

  • Commons and Champions

Philadelphia proposed a motion to reserve the site at Ridley Creek Park for Commons on the last Sunday in August. This was seconded and passed. We still need someone to steward this event. Rowen will reserve the site and be reimbursed by the Barony.

OFFICER REPORTS

  • Coronet Report

Rowen and Suba reported – Report was posted online and can be found here – http://bhakail.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/index.php/2018/04/11/coronet-report-april-2018/

  • Seneschal

Muin reported – It has been a horribly busy not spring. We are looking forward to the season where people get to camp. Yay team!

  • Herald

Ragna reported that she posted her report on the website. It can be found here – http://bhakail.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/index.php/2018/04/10/salamander-pursuivants-report-2018-04/

  • Knight Marshal

Vachir reported – Everything’s going well. Practice continues every week. 

  • Rapier Marshal

No report

  • Captain of Combat Archers

Jibril reported – Balfar’s Challenge up in Dragonship Haven will have a day-long combat archery workshop. Starting next week or the one after, they will start going through equipment at Social.

  • Exchequer

Philadelphia reported that she erroneously under-reported the Tavern event’s profit last month. The net profit was actually $164.10. Thanks again, Teo and Eirani, for a great event!

Just a reminder that the Barony is holding the following funds as earmarked for a specific purpose: 

$119.00 to fund creation of newcomer garb 

$200.00 received from the Canton to support the Bhakail Army 

$25.00 to support siege weapons antics 

$47.50 to support fencers’ activities (matching 1:1 with fencer fundraising) 

$1,291.46 to support the Weekly Social (money raised by Canton)

On average in calendar year 2018 to date, the amount of the weekly Social donations is $12 less each week than the amount of weekly Social rental fee. If we use up the cash raised by the Canton to make up the funding shortfall for the Weekly Social, this can continue for another year or two if nothing else changes, but we should start thinking of ways to sustain the Social. Maybe a fundraiser or something?

Many thanks to my Deputy, Violet, for collecting, depositing, and recording the Social donations each week, and for taking care of managing the payment of the rental fee each month.

  • Chamberlain

Martyn reported – The Barony still has stuff, unsurprisingly. Now that the weather appears somewhat undeadly, the rest of the Baronial Gear will be making its way to its new home in Overbrook, courtesy Mistress Philadelphia. Finally, my term is ending in June, therefore I would ask that our Seneschal officially open the call for nominations for my successor at this month’s meeting.

  • Chronicler

Lianor reported – I am looking to step down from being the Chronicler for Bhakail. If you would be willing to take minutes at the business meetings and post them publicly, at the very least, please submit a letter of intent to the Seneschal.

  • Minister of Arts and Sciences

Hrafnhildr reported – Monday night A&S is suspended indefnitely, as the space was lost. There was an Athena’s thimble meeting held last month in the Barony. There will be another on April 24th. There is a Scribal Schola coming up in the Shire of Caer Adamant.

  • Minister of the Lists

Judith reported – Greetings to the Barony. The snow seems to be happening less frequently and now is the time to get ready to answer the drums of war. Make sure your weapons are in order and your authorizations are current.  Be ready to defend your Barony and your Kingdom.

  • Chatelaine

Chana reported – This last month has been a busy one for the newcomers of Bhakail!  Aside from helping a couple of them move around the Barony, Master Mael Eoin’s Company of the Black Boot, a newcomer household he thought up, has begun welcoming its first newcomers!  We held a brunch to welcome our newest members, gauge where their interests lie in the Society, and answer any questions they thought up.  We plan on continuing Black Boot meetups monthly (at least) as a way to socialize and start some workshops and project days.  If you’re interested in joining us, please let me know!

  • Chancellor Minor

Rosie reported – If anyone is interested in having youth activities, please contact her.

  • Webminister

Muin, as Seneschal, reported – We are voting on accepting the new Webminister. Rúni inn írski was unanimously voted in. Vivat to Marta, the outgoing Webminister.

  • Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust

Martyn reported – The Bailiwick will be hosting a class on Mongolian Script this Sunday (Philly has more information). Our March meeting was delayed by weather, but we were able to successfully meet on March 28th. Our next business meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 18th at 7:30pm in the Meyerson Conference Center on the 2nd Floor of the Van Pelt Library on UPenn’s campus. Our March minutes will be posted by the end of the week on the Bailiwick website.

Meeting closed at 9:15pm


Coronet Report – April 2018

2018-04 – Coronet Report

To the Barony and the Bailiwick, and those others to whom these present letters come, greetings and wishes of good health from Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba!

Gulf Wars – 3/10/18-3/18/18

At Gulf Wars, held in the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann, Mistress Juliana von Altenfeld took the Honorable Lady Alexandra Blacksheep as her apprentice. May this be a successful relationship for them both!

Mudthaw – 3/24/18

Mudthaw, held in the Barony of Settmour Swamp, was a good day for Bhakailis! In the afternoon, Baroness Ysmay de Lynn became the protege of Mistress Hedewigis Ockenfüßin. In Royal Court that evening, Thomas of Bhakail, the son of the Honorable Lord Bryan and Honorable Lady Alisia), was Awarded Arms. Our Bardic Champion, Juliana Bird was made a Companion of the Silver Brooch and Awarded Arms for her musical abilities. Lady Angela Mori was inducted into the Order of the Maunche for her talent in divers arts. Our Constable, Lord Cailin MacSalney, was inducted into the Order of the Golden Mantle for his skill in combat archery. And Lady Beatrice de Warynton, in recognition of her aid and crafting to the reign of Ivan and Mathilde, was awarded a Court Barony with a Grant of Arms! A good day for members of the Barony! Suba and I are very proud of all of you and your accomplishments! Well done, each of you!!

Last Court of Ivan and Matilde – 4/7/18

Word has come from the Last Court of Ivan and Matilde, held April 7, A.S. LII! Our own Lady Chana Freidl the Maker has been gifted the Queen’s Cypher! And our dear Master Mael Eoin mac Echuid has been given the King’s Cypher! Vivant, Mael Eoin and Chana! Waaauuuggghhh, Bhakail!

Requested event – Baronial Thrown Weapons Champions

We are still looking for someone to host a Baronial Thrown Weapons Championship. The possibility exists to hold this at a practice in Caer Adamant or at the coming practice in Buckland Cross.

Requested event – Baronial Champions and Commons

We’re also looking for someone to steward the Baronial Champions and Commons in August. For the last few years, this has been held on the last Sunday in August at Ridley Creek Park. This year, that would be August 26th.

New officers sought

The Barony is also looking for new officers to fill the roles of Chronicler and Chamberlain. If you are interested in either of these important offices, please reach out to Our Seneschal, Master Muin, or to us.

 

Thank you for taking the time to read and helping the Barony prosper!

Pray know we remain,

 – Rowen and Suba