- Tavern – sold out! Wait list is possible, contact Chana through email or Facebook
- We will need crock pots, please contact Maryna if you can lend one
- If you have food allergies, contact Maryna
- Muin will take two apprenti in a “belt-tacular” manner
- Still open to receiving proposal for this year’s Yule and Commons
- Church meeting site – month to month
- Agreed to January and Feb at least
- If unhappy, find us a new one
- Cost is $65/night
- Should Barony cover cost for baronial meeting?
- Maybe we can ask them to lower cost if we meet here more?
- Judith the Confused – husband passed on Jan 2nd, memorial Feb 2nd at Commodore Barry Club from 2 pm until 6 pm if you would like to go
- Curia at Birka – lots of topics, one of which is a change that would say any time Royals hold court at a local event, EK gets a 20% cut of profit
- As last year, accepting people who camped with us last year first, then open to everyone; adding people to wait list already
- We need a new camp exchequer – once funds are transferred, we will take a closer look at how much money we have, what we spend it on, if we need to change camp fees
- Camp funds are used for: baronial sheet walls, fire wood, shower filters, lamp oil, ice, water, ice/water for youth fighters, etc
- Rosie will take care of sheet wall throughout the year
- Went to first baronial investiture of Buckland Cross; lovely day; presented them with gifts, some they used immediately; gave them dishes, they ate off them that night
- Morwill (Baronial rapier champion) was elevated into the Order of the Golden Rapier
- Court will happen at Tavern, anyone who has business for court, please email Rowen
- Entire new year’s worth of possibilities before us
- Tavern coming, summer brings Pennsic, looking for Commons autocrat post-Pennsic (easy event to run), then Yule needs an autocrat; then Tavern for 2020
- “It’s a new year, go out and be medieval”
- Kingdom got back to zip code committee – approved, sent to legate (approved); Baliwick gets new zip codes! (Yay!)
- Bhakail army money – making tabards
- Gold Key money for new garb
- Report sent in
- Don’t forget to hydrate
- Art is still happening
- Michelle announced intention to step down, will maintain role as long as necessary
- If interested, submit letter of intent to Muin and Rowen
- Children’s Activities
- Sent in report
- Web exists
- EK web ministry shut down the old server
- Planning on plague sale for old garb
- If you can help make new garb for gold key, please let Chana know in email or Facebook
- Week or two before event – online check in with newcomers to see what they need before event, give info about site, etc
- Looking to share info/newcomer gathering ideas with other local Chatelaines
- Report posted online
- Runi, Iriniia, Jens have official names
- Seneschal of Ivy
- Report sent in
Here it is! The 2018 Bhakail camping form! After you pre-reg, please fill this out and return it to me. You can either email it to me at email@example.com, or print it out and hand it to me at Social or whenever we see each other.
You can find the link to the form here… Pennsic Camping Form 2018
To the Barony and the Bailiwick, and those others to whom these present letters come, greetings and wishes of good health from Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba!
AEdult Swim III – 2/17/18-2/18/18
Bhakail was well-represented at the AEdult Swim event held in the Kingdom of AEthelmearc. A number of the Barony’s fighters and fencers took the opportunity to learn and train in a very competitive and educational environment. Well done!
Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium – 3/9/18-3/11/18
Our neighbors to the northwest, the Shire of Hartshorn-Dale, hosted the Known World Arts & Sciences Symposium. Several Bhakailis and friends of the Barony taught at this event. The Honorable Lady Shoshana Gryffyth, Don Lorenzo Gorla, Lady Rachel of Bhakail, and Master Muin maqq Minain all presented classes. Quite a few other Bhakailis attended and learned much from these teachers and many others. Additionally, the Bhakaili Branslers, under the direction of Maistresse Sabine de Kerbriant – Master Arden of Icomb, the Honorable Lady Siobhan inghean ui Dhonnabhain, Lord Cynon Mac an Choill, the Honorable Lady Grainne ni Cleirigh, the Honorable Lady Pia Maletesta d’Rimini, and the Honorable Lady Adelisa Salernitana – performed for the evening Ball. Vivant to Hartshorn-Dale for their successful Known World event!
East Kingdom 50 Year – 6/28/18-7/1/18
We have several things we’d like to bring up for this upcoming event.
First, we’ve been asked to prepare a single 8-1/2″ x 11” page with photos and text detailing the history of the Barony. We’ve written to the project organizer for more information and direction, as this is a new project we haven’t been involved with before. This page is supposed to be delivered to the EK50Y group by March 31.
Second, there will be a Memorial Garden at this event where those who have passed on can be remembered. If there are Bhakailis you would like to remember, the instructions are as follows. “For those whom you would like to honor in the Memorial Garden area, we ask that you please prepare a single 11 x 8.5 sheet (landscape orientation) with a photo and a short bio or whatever words you feel are appropriate. These pages will be placed within a plastic sheet protector and attached to decorated boards which will surround the Memorial Garden area.” If you would like the event to print these pages for you, they must be emailed by June 1. Otherwise, they can be delivered in person to the event. If you let Baron Rowen know if you plan on a memorial page and, if so, how many pages, he’ll communicate that to the event organizers.
Lastly, the Barony was allotted a 10’ x 10’ space at the event for the Hall of History, a display area for each Barony and Shire in the Kingdom. The event organizers have asked for the following.
- A banner or sign displaying the name of the Barony or Shire
- A large Baronial/Shire device displaying the arms of the Barony/Shire
- Baronial Lineage
- Pictures or items that are a part of the Barony’s/Shire’s history (example: coronets, gowns, casting molds from important items, mantles, old armor, new armor etc.)
- Information on the history and traditions of the Barony/Shire
Recommended but not required:
- Any written Barony/Shire histories
- Displays of Barony/Shire traditions
- Lists and depictions of Baronial/Shire level awards
- All the things that make your Barony/Shire unique!
We are looking for someone who is planning on going to the event to take on organizing this display. This is a not-insubstantial project and will require coordinating with several members of the Barony. Master Muin has indicated that he will be at the event and can help coordinate on-site, however he is unable to be the project manager for this.
According to the project organizers, power is not readily available and we are required to bring all tables, chairs, stands, duct tape, and whatever else is needed for our display.
When we moved to the new Kingdom email system, the previous alias “firstname.lastname@example.org” address went away. We think this was a useful way to communicate with all Baronial officers at one time and would like the officers’ input on having this means of communication again. We do have the option of setting up an email list on the Kingdom mail server, for example “email@example.com” or setting up a collaborative inbox that all the Baronial officers can be added to. This would look similar to a Google Group, as it’s based on that technology.
Runnymede Dinner at Pennsic
It was discussed at the Baronial Pennsic meeting about the option of Bhakail hosting this year’s Runnymede (the collective landed baronage of the East) Dinner. The people attending the meeting supported the idea. At the same time, the Vicereine of Ostgardr offered her household encampment, the Silver Horde, as host. Silver Horde has a larger space than we have available, and it is already outfitted with tables and chairs. Since Ostgardr itself is hosting next year’s dinner, it has been suggested that Bhakail take the lead in organizing, the Silver Horde host the physical space, and retainers from the attending Baronies help with setup, serving, and cleanup. Additionally, there are discussions at the moment about holding a shorter “cocktail hour” with light refreshments, rather than a full sit-down dinner. We will give the Barony more information on this as it becomes available.
Heirs to the Iron Bog Baronial Seat
Their Majesties Ivan and Matilde have announced the heirs to Baroness Creatura Christi of Oaks, Baroness of Iron Bog. Two of the Tadcasters have been selected for this honor. The Honorable Lord Lord Declan Gobha and his wife Lady Aibhilin inghean ui Phaidin will take the Baronial seat at Iron Bog Investiture and K&Q Archery Champions on June 16, 2018. Vivant to Declan and Aibhilin!
River Wars 2018
We have been contacted by the Honorable Lord Sterling de la Rosa about this year’s River Wars event. At this time, there is not a theme, nor competition scheduled between the Baronies. In addition, he wanted to share that they are looking at ways to make the event more affordable for families.
River Wars 2019
Master Collin Monro has contacted us about River Wars 2019. He is planning to organize a bid and would like to have a series of competitions between Bhakail and Iron Bog. He expects there to be competitions in armored and rapier combat, archery, thrown weapons, A&S, and possibly some event pitting the Barons of Bhakail and Iron Bog against each other. This is a tentative plan at the moment, as Master Collin has not yet submitted and had approved a bid for the 2019 event.
Requested event – Baronial Thrown Weapons Champions
We are soliciting bids from the Barony to organize a Baronial Thrown Weapons Champion event this coming spring. We’d ask that you work with Our current Champion, Lord Þorsteinn Hroðbjartsson, to find a day and site suitable to this. Lady Angela Mori and Lord Hilarius Drunck have offered their estate, perhaps on a Sunday in April or May, if this can be arranged.
That wraps up our rather lengthy report for this month. Waauugghh, Bhakail!
– Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba
Greetings unto the Barony and any friends of Bhakail who camp with us at Pennsic War!
Below is a link to the form that we’ll need to have not only filled out, signed and submitted, we’re also requiring all forms to be reviewed by the Camp Master and/or anyone else specifically designated to be able to approve these forms (Master Rowen Cloteworthy, as the map-maker, is also able to review and approve, as an example).
We need to review all tent sizes and Pennsic registrations to make sure that there’s enough registrations to cover each tent, dining fly, rope footprint, etc.; especially considering our particular quirks, we need to be aware of how much space each tent takes up versus how much space each person is allotted (we are “compressed” in order to stay on our block, which means we all get 10% fewer square feet per registration, plus we then take 50 sq ft off per person for public walkways and the like).