Salamander


The Salamander Newsletter

October 2019 Business Meeting Notes

Special Note from our Seneschal-

The events of the past week have left many of us sad, upset, or many other types of feelings.
The sudden abdication of a king so quickly after his coronation is overwhelming and confusing.
It is times like this when coming together as a barony and a kingdom can give us strength and reassure us that the East will endure.
We will rally around our Queen and offer her our love and support to help her thru this difficult time. We will support each other, and our Barony will be stronger for it.

Waugh Bhakail!

Thank you.
Alesia

 

Old business

  • Polling!
    • Nothing to report
      • As of 01 Oct 19 Polling Deputy could provide no Info

 

  • Yule/Investiture
    • Preregister for Yule here
    • THL Martyn de Halliwell will have a feast menu planned shortly
    • Lady Mari Clock Van Hoorne is Autocrat
      • Contact her if you need anything for Yule
    • Lady Maryna Borowska is space scheduler
      • If you need a space for a meeting or whatever please contact her
    • Isabel (Harper) covering dayboard
    • Professional cleaning crew will do final cleanup, but we need people to put stuff away

 

  •  Tavern
    • Lady Girsell MacLeoid has volunteered to Autocrat with Lord Cailin Macsalny as her Deputy
    • Waiting on the contract from The German Society
    • Baron Mael Eoin Mac Echuidh has mentioned interest in Cooking but would be willing to assist someone else if they wanted to be Head Cook
    • New Bardic & Gaming Champions will be determined

 

  • Largesse project –
    • Ysmay has decided to wait to announce it formally to let things settle down
    • Muin is also collecting largesse
    • If you want to contribute, contact either of them

 

  • PAX Demo
    • We are on the official exhibitor list!
    • We’re allowed banners up to 8 feet high
    • we have a 10×20 space on the main show floor, next to the board game library
    • Chana is the contact person; email/Facebook any ideas and offers of help
    • Going to have game boards set up, canvas/paper boards available for people to take home (with instructions)
      • Planning on 9 Man Morris, Gluck Haus, Fox & Geese, and Alquerques
    • Will reach out to local chatelaines to make sure I have business cards available for surrounding areas

  

  • Social
    • A poll was created by Lady Maryna Borowska regardinG peoples preferences for Social and the results are in:
      • No strong preference between Mon/Tues/Wed
      • Like having food, but not most important
      • Like ability (room) to do crafts
    • Still looking for places, please send suggestions to Alysia
    • Some things to think about
      • Possibly rotating Social locations?
      • Someone’s home vs public setting?
      • Private residence, but have once a month restaurant social?
      • Something that moves around the barony?

 

New Business

  • None

 

Officers

  • Vicar
    • Go to River War! 
      • Bhakail’s champions and Iron Bog’s champions will fight against each other

 

  • Seneschal
    • Looking for place to hold Baronial Council
    • See Special Note at begining

 

  • Herald
    • Report is posted
    • Use and updating your EK Wiki page makes award recommendations and courts easier
    • The new East Kingdom College of Heralds website is up and running, including the new quarterly reporting forms
    • Court Report forms are still being revamped
    • Quarterly report due dates have been changed by one month and are now due on the 1st of November
      • the website has not yet been updated to reflect this

 

  • Knight Marshall
    • Thrown Weapons
      • Mikael is holding practice at his house every other Sunday until weather is too bad to continue,
        • On the Baronial calendar (address is there)

 

  • Exchequer
    • The third quarter report has been submitted to Regional.
    • Dedicated Funds:
      • $119 (Gold Key);
      • $42 (Bhakail Army);
      • $25 (siege weapons);
      • $48 (matching funds for fencers’ gear);
      • $1,267 (Canton/Social).
    • Remember to preregister for Yule, especially if you would like to get onboard before it sells out!
  •  Chamberlain
    • We still have stuff
    • Will be providing Banners for PAX

 

  • Chronicler
    • Taking notes

 

  • MOAS
    • Art is good. 
    • A&S stuff happening at River War;
      • Lissa holding a class about feedback;
    • Brewing panel, roundtable, meet and greet at River War
    • At Yule
      • Barional A&S Championship 
      • Athena’s Thimble Meeting
      • Brewing Championship
      • Bring your best!
        • Don’t be afraid to display even if you don’t want to compete

 

  • MOL

Working on the MOL lists at Coronation in Owlsherst were several members of Bhakail and Friends of Bhakail – Gisela covered the Rapier and Heavy Lists along with Mistress Astrid from Eisental, Eleanora the Tilemaker and Eaj covered two of the Youth Combat Lists. All of the Youth Fighters were thanked for participating and presented with Water Bottles from Queen Margarita. Each Youth Champion was presented with an Off-hand Dane Axe made by Seán Dubh. Several new authorizations as well as additional authorizations and the Event Report were mailed to the Kingdom MOL. A lot of fun was had by all!!!

Yours in Service,

Gisela and Judith

 

Supplement to Yule report regarding current attendance –

In addition to the Paypal preregistration numbers, there are 6 additional pre-registrations received (5 of which include Feast seats) as of today 10/15/19. Adding these to the numbers I received from Mistress Philadelphia as of 10/12/19, we have a total of 17 sold feast seats.

Respectfully submitted,

Mistress Gisela Szabó

 

  • Chatelaine
    • Purchased new Gold Key garb with Plague Sale Funds and the remainder will be going to the Barony

 

  • Chancelor Minor
    • Kingdom Chancelor Minor report has been sent in
    • Children’s activities are available, contact Rosie

 

  • Webminister
    • Continued maintenance 
    • Mailing lists migrating from Yahoo to Gmail

 

  • Bailiwick
    • Looking at changing the date for event (Thélème) in March so it don’t go against Iron Bog’s Bog Mitzvah
    • Philly Pride Presents has us on both of their event lists
    • Business meeting rescheduled to accommodate Barony meetings (10/22)

September 2019 Business Meeting Notes

Old business

  • Pennsic
    • Went really well
    • To have our sump pumped out next year by the port-o-castle guys we need to set up an account with them
    • Rosie, the camp exchequer, is finishing up balancing the books
      • If you have any receipts for Rosie please get them to get as soon as possible.
      • If you worked off some of your camp fees by helping out around the camp (e.g. taking the trash to the dumpsters, refilled tiki torches, refilled propane tanks, etc.) please contact Rosie
      • In the future Camp Fees MUST be paind BEFORE Pennsic

 

  • Polling!
    • They have been mailed out
    • YOU MUST VOTE AND RETURN THEM BEFORE SEPTEMBER 30th FOR THEM TO COUNT
      • In each ballot there is a convenient pre stamped & addressed return envelope

 

  •  Tavern
    • Lady Girsell MacLeoid has volunteered to Autocrat with Lord Cailin Macsalny as her Deput
    • Baron Mael Eoin Mac Echuidh has mentioned interest in Cooking but would be willing to assist someone else if they wanted to be Head Cook
    • New Bardic & Gaming Champions will be determined

 

  • Largesse project –
    • Still planning on handing the Largess over to Royals at Yule
    • If you want to contribute, contact Muin

 

  • PAX Demo
    • we have a 10×20 space on the main show floor, next to the board game library
    • Chana is the contact person; email/Facebook any ideas and offers of help
    • Going to have game boards set up, canvas/paper boards available for people to take home (with instructions)
      • Planning on 9 Man Morris, Gluck Haus, Fox & Geese, and Alquerques
    • Will reach out to local chatelaines to make sure I have business cards available for surrounding areas
    • We’re allowed banners up to 8 feet high

 

  • Yule/Investiture
    • Lady Mari Clock Van Hoorne has volunteered to Autocrat
    • Isabel (Harper) covering dayboard
    • THL Martyn de Halliwell is cooking feast
    • Professional cleaning crew will do final cleanup, but we need people to put stuff away

 

  • Philly Ren Faire demo –
    • Planning currently on hold until closer to the event

 

New Business

  • Pennsic
    • We will be making a new sheetwall banner to replace the older one that previously hung at EK Royal
      • THL Martyn de Halliwell has the plans/requirements for it.  If you wish to help please contact him.
  • New Knights Marshall
    • Egil (Band Hands), who has been running fight practices, has been officially voted in as Bhakail New Knights Marshall!

 

Officers

  • Vicar
    • After participating in Battle on the Bay in the Kingdom of Atlantia Baroness Ysmay de Lynn wants to start “Cross Pollinating Events” with some of their northern groups.  Which would mean advertising their events locally and attending them.  They are a lot closer than we think and it would be good for Inter-Kingdom Relations.

 

  • Seneschal
    • Planning a Barional Council Meeting for sometime in October or November
      • Officers have been contacted via email.  Please get back to the Seneschal with your availability
      • Wants to get to know the Officers
      • Possible location for the meeting is Broadway Grille in Clifton Heights

 

  • Herald
    • Report is posted

 

  • Knight Marshall
    • It’s his first day

 

  • Exchequer
    • Commons had a net profit of $39 ($235 donations less $166 total site rental less $30 supplies).
    • Dedicated Funds:
      • $119 (Gold Key);
      • $42 (Bhakail Army);
      • $25 (siege weapons);
      • $48 (matching funds for fencers’ gear);
      • $1,267 (Canton/Social).
    • Remember to preregister for Yule, especially if you would like to get onboard before it sells out!
  •  Chamberlain
    • We still have stuff

 

  • Chronicler
    • Taking notes

 

  • MOAS
    • Art continues to happen!!
    • Post Pennsic:
      • HRH Margarita’s Favor design is now available. Please feel free to reach out to me for kits for either HRM Fortune or HRH Margarita’s favors. There is always a huge need for Pennsic favors, even a few help. It’s a simple design and a great way to practice embroidery or fabric painting. 
      • The Scribal Work Day has been scheduled for Sunday Sept 15th.  If you are interested in wordsmithing, please let me know. 
      • There will be a Rattan Art competition and an A&S Gift Exchange at Caer Adamant’s Tourney of the Fallen Stag on Sept 29th 
      • Bards, Caer Adamant will be hosting Winternights South and Bardic Banshee on Oct 26th so get your repertoire beefed up!
      • The PAX Unplugged demo will be Dec 6th – 8th, we will set up a workshop or two before then to make some nice pretty game boards. Stay Tuned!
      •  Bhakail A&S and Brewing Champions will be determined at Yule/Investiture
      • Informal A&S workshops at Eleanora’s house.  Contact her for the address.
      • Monthly Craft & Chat day in the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust

 

  • Chatelaine
    • Purchased new Gold Key garb with Plague Sale Funds
      • 4 pairs of pants, 3 long sleeve tunics, 2 short sleeve tunics
      • Still wants to get some dresses
      • Needs more kids garb
      • had a sucessful Black Boot Meet Up a few weeks ago
      • Continues to get emails from people interested in joining

 

  • Chancelor Minor
    • Was asked to plan activities at Ghosts, Ghouls, & Goblins
    • Children’s activities are available, contact Rosie

 

  • Webminister
    • Continued maintenance 
    • Mailing lists migrating from Yahoo to Gmail

 

  • Bailiwick
    • Ivy held a very successful Demo at UPenn on Thurs Aug 29th, which has resulted in several new undergraduate and post-grad students demonstrating interest in becoming involved. I expect 4-5 to be showing up between now and Yule.
      • Thank you to Bruni & Livia who were both a major help with getting the demo set up!
    • We currently have a bi-weekly scriptorium, a monthly craft & chat, as well as our monthly business meeting
      • The next business meeting is next Tuesday 9/17 at 7pm in the Fisher Fine Arts Library
    • If anyone is interested in teaching a class, we have space and a lot of interested undergrads. Please get in contact with myself and/or Mistress Brunissende, our A&S Minister.
    • Thélème will be held on Saturday, March 14th, 2020. The event/demo is free and open to the public. A placeholder is on the EK calendar. There will also be a scribal rare book “petting zoo” in the Kislak Rare Book Center at UPenn.

July 2019 Business Meeting Notes

 

Old business

  • Commons
    • Went really well
    • Final count near 130
    • Location was nice
      • Fighting was a lot closer to the rest of the event 
      • Made it feel like 1 event instead of 2 
    • Maybe switch fencers to shade where Anglesey was set up?
    • $235 in donations
    • Plague sale
      • Made almost $500!
      • Going to use the money to buy nice tunics/dresses at Pennsic, maybe some trim
      • Going to buy scrub pants 
      • Give remainder to Barony

 

  • Pennsic
    • It’s coming!  17 days
    • Do your final prep, check your tent for all its parts
    • Amazon Prime day is July 15th, in time to make final purchases
    • Final block assignments went out, our block is just us and Draken Lager
    • For those that have not paid camp fees, bring cash to Pennsic
    • People near site have said it’s been a very rainy season, maybe buy some rain boots
    • Providing water and ice to the youth fighters every day
    • Nightshade Armor fix Bhakaili armor? For a cost

 

  • Mael Eoin fundraiser on hold, maybe end of August?  Set up a fire and have brewers donate if they have anything

 

  • Largesse project –
    • Rolling along, putting together bag of EK tokens; if you want to contribute, contact Muin

 

  • PAX Demo
    • Got free space!  Maryna knew who to contact
    • We will be on the main show floor, next to the board game library
    • Chana is the contact person; email/Facebook any ideas and offers of help
    • Not sure what we’ll be able to include due to space
    • Going to have game boards set up, canvas/paper boards available for people to take home (with instructions)
    • Will reach out to local chatelaines to make sure I have business cards available for surrounding areas
    • Vinyl sign/banner?  Not sure what kind of signage they might require

 

  • Yule
    • Haven’t heard from anyone about autocratting
    • Rosie willing to help, but doesn’t want to autocrat
    • Martyn has someone who can do it during the day, but cannot help through cleanup
    • Isabel (Harper) covering dayboard
    • Martyn is cooking feast
    • Professional cleaning crew will do final cleanup, but we need people to put stuff away

 

  • Philly Ren Faire demo –
    • Chana has been in touch with Charlotte, one of the coordinators; has three groups to coordinate, wants us to all have a different draw
    • Mentioned fighters enjoyed it last time and wants to come back
    • Music/Calligraphy/Illumination/Simple Crafts

 

  • Society seneschal – new rule for demos –
    • if there is combat archery/thrown weapons at all, public VIEWING it, we need signed waivers; kingdom marshall is looking into it for more clarification

 

New Business

 

  • Mikael bought large property in Upper Darby; willing to start hosting thrown weapons practices, possibly archery if he can get a marshall; plenty of parking, close to train station; looking to start after Pennsic

 

Officers

 

  • Seneschal
    • Greetings to the Barony!
      As I’m sure you know Master Muin stepped down as Seneschal at the June meeting as he put in a Letter of Intent to run for Baron. I would like to thank Master Muin for his service, he was an inspiring and amusing leader and he is a hard act to follow.
      I would also like to thank Baron Mael Eoin for also putting in a Letter of Intent for the office of Seneschal. We have seen him step up many times and take on responsibilities that have enabled our beloved Barony to run smoothly. I thank him for his service.
      Commons was a great event. Moving the fighting and fencing under the trees and off the open field seemed to work well.
      I received a message from the Kingdom Seneschal regarding combat archery and thrown weapons at demos. Effective immediately waivers must be signed for members of the public to participate in combat archery or thrown weapons at demos. Parents must sign a waiver for a minor to participate.
      To everyone going to Pennsic I wish you a fun and safe war.
      In service to the Barony,
      THL Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar
      Seneschal

 

  • Herald
    • Report will be posted

 

  • Knight Marshall
    • Vaschir stepped down; His deputy Egil (Bad Hands) is running fight practice, but we need a new knight marshall; required position, so we need someone to fill that job
    • Egil (Bad Hands) has sent letter of intent to run for Knights Marshall to Seneschal; pending marshallate sent to Kingdom Marshall; has asked to be nominated to be Knight Marshall; position open till September, when we will vote

 

  • Exchequer
    • Working on the second quarter report.
    • Just a reminder that if anyone needs to visit the German Society site for reviewing logistics for Yule or Tavern, the German Society site is closed from Saturday, July 20th, through Sunday, August 11th.
    • Many thanks to Alesia for depositing the $235.00 in donations from Champions Commons. If anyone has any expenses from Champions Commons which have not been reimbursed yet, please let me know.
    • Many thanks to Livia for standing in as Chancellor of the Exchequer for me at the July Barony Meeting.

 

  • Chamberlain
    • Stuff went to Commons and stuff came back from Commons
    • Thank you to everyone who let Martyn drop stuff off and transported it

 

  • Chronicler
    • Thank you to Lady Chana for taking notes for me when mundaune life gets in the way.

 

  • MOAS
    • Art continues to happen!!
    • Pre-Pennsic:
      • Novice Day is July 20th in Rusted Woodlands (Tappan, NY) – the A&S and Bardic display/competitions are open to anyone who does not hold a Kingdom or Barony A&S/Bardic award and who has not won a championship. A great place to practice displaying, documentation, and get feedback. 
    • At Pennsic:
      • For those intending to display you A&S Project on Aug 4th or compete on Aug 8th at Pennsic, let me know so I can tell the Barony to support you 😉
      • Pennsic has a ton of classes, check out the Thing for a schedule and get excited! Some classes have materials fees so plan ahead
      • A&S events at Pennsic you may be interested in
        • BYOB Summit Aug 2nd at 2pm at Bog U
        • Brewer’s Guild Inter Kingdom Competition and Roundtable Aug 4th at 3pm in A&S 10am
        • Barter Town is Monday Aug 5th at 12pm in Great Hall.
        • Known World Scribal Tea on Monday Aug 5th at 1pm in AE Royal. 
        • Athena’s Thimble Panel at Pennsic is scheduled for Aug 6th (War Week Tuesday) at 9am in EK Royal. This is a busy one so especially if you are planning to panel at a higher level please reach out to the Guild ahead of time. 
        • EK Scribes meetup at Pennsic is Wednesday Aug 7th at 10am in EK Royal. 
        • Crafty Swap is Tuesday Aug 8th at 10am in the Great Hall. 
        • Tablet Weavers’ Tea Aug 8th 3pm in Atlantia Royal
        • KW Courtesans social Aug 8th at 3pm in Strawberry Fields 
        • EK College of Performers, Herbalists Guild, Soothsayers Guild, Blacksmith’s Guild all have meetings.
        • A&S Photo service at various times
    • Post Pennsic:
      • HRH Margarita’s Favor design is now available. Please feel free to reach out to me for kits for either HRM Fortune or HRH Margarita’s favors. There is always a huge need for Pennsic favors, even a few help. It’s a simple design and a great way to practice embroidery or fabric painting. 
      • Ducal Challenge is Sept 9th in Settmour Swamp and requests that armored and rapier combatants submit art they have made or commissioned to the prize pool. If you need any support with your project or getting connected with an artisan, let me know if I can help. 
      • The Scribal Work Day has been tentatively rescheduled for Sunday Sept 15th, more details soon on Facebook and will go out on the email list after Pennsic. We will have supplies and tasks for those of all skill levels. If you are interested in wordsmithing prior to the event, please let me know. 
      • There will be a Rattan Art competition and an A&S Gift Exchange at Caer Adamant’s Tourney of the Fallen Stag on Sept 29th 
      • Bards, Caer Adamant will be hosting Winternights South and Bardic Banshee on Oct 26th so get your repertoire beefed up!
      • The PAX Unplugged demo will be Dec 6th – 8th, we will set up a workshop or two before then to make some nice pretty game boards. Stay Tuned!
      • Master Muin is coordinating a largesse donation for Their To-Be-Majesties to be presented at Yule/Investiture, Dec 14th. Contact him or me to contribute. The new Baronial Seat will also be selecting Their A&S and Brewing Champions. 

 

  • MoL
    • Commons happened, we have champions
    • 9 heavy fighters, 16 fencers
    • Report sent in

 

  • Chatelaine
    • Caitlin, her boyfriend, Remy, Silas came to Commons
    • Continue to get people emailing in looking for info
    • Lots of newcomer classes/meetups at Pennsic
    • Hoping to do some newcomer largesse classes to create a basket for the Royals at Yule

 

  • Chancelor Minor
    • Children’s activities are available, contact Rosie

 

  • Webminister
    • Website and email are working
    • Mailing lists migrating from Yahoo to Gmail

 

  • Bailiwick
    • Sent report to chronicler
    • Productive June meeting; no July meeting; meeting last tuesday of August
    • Demo at UPenn for student activities day
    • music/dance day in September
    • Philly Out Fest Demo – Sunday October 13th
    • Scriptorium starting back up in the fall

 

Other business

  • Calendar – barony meetings listed at 7 (so that everyone can make it by 7:30 to start) – keep this
  • Website – champions not updated
  • Letters of intent for Baronial seat – only one received – Muin
    • We still need to go through polling
  • Rowen applied to be social media deputy – falls under office of seneschal; given position
  • Iriniia is Bhakail liaison for Banshee bardic
  • Maryna is engaged!

June 2019 Business Meeting Notes

Old Business

  • Pennsic
    • 45 days until Pennsic, 8 days left to pre-reg; EK court is Tuesday according to Facebook, but there was debate on that earlier in the year; Bhakail’s period games night is on middle Sunday
  • Commons
    • Plague sale of Gold Key and unclaimed Lost & Found!
    • Bring tables, chairs, & friends
    • Everyone should be responsible for your what you bring to the potluck – clean up your food before you leave
    • There will be court!
    • Officially event closes at 6 PM
    • This is a FREE EVENT, but donations will be accepted.  Considered a “charity event”
    • Not supposed to put trash in the dumpsters (take it with us)
    • Separate recyclables
    • ABSOLUTELY dry site, no alcohol at all or we will be kicked out
  • Tavern
    • Bid is being submitted
    • Rowen putting in to be deputy autocrat for Tavern “if anything should happen to the autocrats” (aka if Muin becomes Baron)
  • Mael Eoin fundraiser
    • Date to be determined
  • Largesse Project
    • Pushed back, still accumulating, to give to Majesties at Yule
  • PAX
    • In touch with floor coordinator, $900 for a 100 sq ft space; emailing chatelaines in the area to see if we can all pitch in money for it?
  • Yule
    • On the calendar; Mistress Scheherazade is royal liaison; have to discuss food; there will be no planned youth activities; it will be Investiture, current Highnesses are aware
  • Philly Ren Faire
    • Chana will reach out to Charlotte (on staff at Faire); still at Fort Mifflin; May 2-3, & 9-10 2020

New Business

  • Yule and Commons autocrats need to change hands now
    • According to Kingdom policy, Alesia can’t run events unless she gets permission
      • Maryna is now officially in charge of Commons
      • Autocrat for Yule doesn’t have to be decided tonight, proposed to table conversation about Yule staff until July meeting

Officers

  • Coronet
    • “Come to Commons and wish me well or curse my name” – lots of court scheduled, Cake or Death tournament sponsored by Matthew Miller; Matthew Miller who looks remarkably like Baroness Ysmay got his Silver Rapier; Talon (our deputy knight marshal) got his Order of the Tiger Combatant; Caitlin was called out in court for her fancy garb, Her Highness thinks great things out of her; Chana is now protege to Maistir Mael Eoin
  • Webminister
    • website and email are still working; report for officer membership and logins; standing by for office changes that are about to occur; Rowen would like to be new social media deputy, but they are not under the Webministry, they are under seneschal – they will look into this
  • Exchequer
    • Designated Fund balances:
      • Gold Key: $119.00
      • Bhakail Army: $42.00
      • Siege/Combat Archery: $25.00
      • Fencers’ Loaner Gear: $47.50 (matching funds)
      • Canton/Social balance: $1,267.46
    • Thanks! – Philly
  • MOAS
    • Submitted report, scribal shenanigans happening after Pennsic; Caer Adament has ongoing A&S nights; art continues to happen; Bhakail A&S workshops will get going again
  • MOL
    • Greetings unto all in the Barony and Friends of the Barony,We will soon be selecting new Champions for Bhakail and also getting ready for War.  Please check that your authorization cards are legible and have them (or a photo on your mystical device).If you are authorizing at a practice, Marshall’s please make sure you are sending documents to the current East Kingdom MOL – Lady Olivia Baker.  Her legal name and address are as follows:

      Kate Crandall
      PO Box 5561
      Colonie, NY 12205

      Have a great fighting season. Stay hydrated and safe.  Hope to see you on the field or around the campfire.
      Mistress Gisela Szabo and Mistress Judith the Confused
  • Herald
    • Will be on the website tonight
  • Chronicler
    • Currently fighting crime in the city; his substitute is taking notes
  • Chancellor minor
    • Children’s activities at SRWC, 8 kids throughout the day; kids made ice cream, painted shields
  • Chamberlain
    • We have stuff; coordinating getting stuff to Commons
  • Chatelaine
    • Newcomers are great; newcomer largesse project will get underway soon to introduce newcomers to new craft ideas; Remy and Caitlin will be coming to Pennsic;
    • Commons Plague Sale, you can bring stuff to donate to Plague Sale as long as you realize the proceeds will go to the barony; please contact Chana if you would like to do that
  • Bailiwick
    • Winter Night’s South/Caer Adament’s Banshee Bardic will now be merged
  • Seneschal
    • Sent out letter to step down
      • Two people were interested in taking position
        • Mael Eoin has withdrawn
          • Has been officer for about 15 years,
          • Going for Seneschal because there are things we need to deal with (bylaws, we are not following them)
          • This way we don’t have to go through a runoff vote
        • Lady Alesia voted in! Waugh Bhakail! (she celebrated with an evil cackle)
    • Thanks to Master Muin for spending the last two years dedicated to the Barony
  • Other Business 
    • Letters of Intent for position of Coronet are due by the July business meeting on July 9th 2019 and need to be given to the Baron, and Deputy Senseshal 
    • No business meeting in August due to Pennsic
    • Alesia is now in charge and can now close the meeting.

April 2019 Business Meeting Notes

New Business

  • A&S
    • Lady Maryna Borowska Is our new MOAS.
  • Pennsic
    • Lady Roseia Poseia is our camp exchequer.  Pennsic camp money ($60/adult & $20/juvenile) can be given to her, either cash or check payable to Rose O’Connell.  Money must be received by June 19th.
    • Camp Meeting April 28 April 2019 at Baron Darmon and Baroness Sabines house.
    • Pre-Reg Ends soon
      • Mail in – May 31st
      • Online (Unpaid) – June 6th
      • Online (Paid) – June 19th
    • Check your tents!  Moldy tents are sad tents.
  • Fundraisers
    • Baron Mael Eoin is planning on a fundraiser at his house.  More info coming later.
    • Possible fundraiser at Bhakail Commons.  Gold Key garb sale.  Bake Sale.  Constables Lost and Found Sale.
  • Crown Tournament
    • The barony would like together Largess gifts to present to the Royals on May 4th.  If you are interested please contact The Seneschal.

Old Business

  • Meeting Space
    • Still looking for alternatives to gather.  We do like Denny’s but are willing to consider other places as well.
  • Events
    • Bhakail Commons-  Lady Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar has offered to place a bid with a possible date of August 25th.  She will look into getting the required permits and insurance.
    • Yule- Lady Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar has offered to place a bid with a possible date of December 14th.  Roseia Poseia would be Deputy Steward and Lord Martyn de Halliwell as head cook.  The Contract should remain the same as last years, and the addition of a cleaning company being a requirement, which we are happy about.
    • Tavern- Baron Mael Eoin and Baron Jibril have expressed interest in running this event in 2020.

Officer

  • Baron
    • Several Bhakailis received at Mudthaw and Coronation
    • Crown Tournament is fast approaching on May 4th.
      • Looking for Largesss/Gifts to give at Crown Tournament
    • Always taking recommendations for baronial awards
  • Seneschal
    • Looking for volunteers to create some largess for the Royals to be presents at Crown Tournament
  • Exchequer
    • “The first quarter financial report has been submitted”
  • MOAS
    • Lady Maryna Borowska Is our new MOAS!
    • Looking to start a Backlog/Blank Scroll workshop.  Possible around May 19th.
  • Herald
    • Report already on the website.
  • Chronicler
    • Notes are being taken
  • Web Minister
    • Still intending to move from Yahoo Groups to Google Groups.  It’ll happen to soon.
    • Make yourself an East Kingdom Wiki page.  It’s free and easy.
    • Officers should be using official emails.
  • Chancellor Minor
    • “Please let me know if you would like any Children Activity at your event.  I would be happy to put something together for you. I am currently putting together some Children Activity for the Caer Adamant for Spring Crown on May 4.  If your are interested in helping out with this, please let me know via email 181843@member.eastkingdom.org.  It would be very appreciated”
  • Chamberlain
    • We have lots of stuff
    • Wants to have an Organization and Catalog day
  • Chatelaine
    • Black Boot Company have been having semi regular meetings, talking about any topic our new comers want to know more about.
    • Planning an day to help newcomers pick out Outfits for events.
    • Talk To Someone New Challenge.  Find someone you don’t know at an event and start a conversation.

November 2018 Business Meeting Notes

Old Business

  • New Business Meeting Locations!
  • Yule
    • West Kingdom has been hit hard by wild fires, we plan on collecting  donations of well cared for garb at Yule to send to them.
    • PayPal closes on Nov 28.  Get your Preregs in soon!
    • Volunteers are still needed for setup, tear down, servers, and  Gate Guard.
  • Tavern
    • Volunteers are still needed for setup, tear down, servers, and  Gate Guard.

New Business

  • We have been contacted by representatives of The Mill at Anselma (a national historic site) who have offered us use of their grounds for events.  The site is in the Shire of Hartshorn -dale.
  • 100 Minutes War quickly approaches (Saturday November 17th)

Officer Reports

  • Coronet-
    • Crown Tourney happened last weekend and a new Prince and Princess have been crowned.  This is the first Unbelted Prince in over 20 years.
  • Seneshal-
    • We are entering the colder months and though the number of events wanes and attendance falls he is happy to see the number of people who still attend them.
  • Exchequer-
    • We have money
  • MOAS-
    • A&S evenings are happening on Thursday nights at Lady Eleanora Tilamaker house
  • MOL-
    • Looking for help at Shire Wars
  • Web Minister-
    • Websites continue to work
  • Herald-
    • If you submitted a Name/Device/Badge at Pennsic please let her know
  • Chancellor Minor-
    • Reminder that “Youth Activities” is NOT a babysitting service and that an adult or responsible teenager.
    • There are plans for a Salamander Hunt at Yule
    • Volunteers need to assist with Youth activities at Yule.
  • Chamberlin-
    • Currently looking for a replacement
    • New storage shelves at Mistress Philadelphia’s home
    • Planning a Post-Yule Inventory
  • Chatelaine-
    • New members are active in the group
    • Gold Key Garb, looking to make simpler garb that may be less intimidating, needs pouches & belts if you have any to donate please email chatelaine@bhakail.eastkingdom.org
    • Planning a Post-Yule Inventory
    • Looking to sell old garb to raise funds to make new garb at a Plague Sale, possibly at Commons.
  • Bailiwick
    • Next Business is Monday November 19th at the Van Pelt Library.
    • Looking to hear back from Kingdom about Zip Codes changes

Coronet Report – June 2018

To the Barony of Bhakail, the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust, and their friends and neighbors, from Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba, greetings and wishes of good health!

Barony Beyond the Mountain Investiture – 5/19/18

We traveled to BBM to see Our Cousins, Dorigen of Lewes and Eloise of Coulter step down, and Our new Cousins, Mark Red Hand and Gwenllian ferch Llewelyn Invested as the new Baron and Baroness Beyond the Mountain. We met with the incoming Baron and Baroness, along with the rest of House Runnymede, and gave them a gift of an embroidered table runner made by Lady Rosaiea Posaiea.

Hunter’s Picnic – 5/26/18

We joined friends in the Shire of Caer Adamant at Hunter’s Picnic, a small and very friendly afternoon stewarded by Baroness Mari Clock van Hoorne and Lady Mairi Crawford. Baroness Suba joined the discussions at the Athena’s Thimble solar. Eirani inn Sporr was the Head Cook and set out a delicious lunch with help from Lady Mairi Crawford, Lord Sean O’Morain, Mistress Hedewigis Ockenfussin, and Lord Hallbjorn Tryggvason. Thank you to our friends in Caer Adamant for a fine day!

King’s & Queen’s Armored Champions / Sommer Draw – 6/2/18

After traveling to the Barony of Bergental, we stepped out of our roles as Baron and Baroness and helped herald the tourney to choose the new Armored Champions. Vivant to the Honorable Lord Arne Ulrichson, newest King’s Champion, and to the Honorable Lord Ozurr the Boot-Giver, newest Queen’s Champion!

Upcoming Event – Iron Bog Investiture / King’s & Queen’s Archery Champions – 6/16/18

We plan to travel to the Barony of Iron Bog to see Our Cousin Creatura Christi of Oaks step down and Our new Cousins and friends of the Barony, Declan Gobha and Aibhilin inghean ui Phaidin, Invested as the Baron and Baroness.

Upcoming Event – Barren Sands Demo – 6/23/18-6/24/18

The Barony has been asked to help staff a demo being held by the Shire of Barren Sands. The demo will be held at the Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center, 1000 Village Dr, Millville, NJ 08332. They will need help staffing the demo both Saturday and Sunday. The site is open to the public from 10am to 5pm on both days. Camping is available at the site. This demo is not currently listed on the EK Calendar and details are only available on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/events/191477601368406/

Upcoming Event – Pennsic – 7/28/18-8/12/18

As we get closer to Pennsic, we will be discussing with the camp the options for hosting both Filk Night and Period Games & Music night. Filk Night is traditionally held on middle Friday. Period Games & Music is traditionally held on Tuesday of War week, however, this year EK Court will be held that night. We have spoken to Our Cousins of the Barony of Flaming Gryphon in the Midrealm. They would like to continue our ongoing chess match at PG&M, so we are considering holding that party on Sunday night this year. We will also be holding a brief Court at Pennsic, though the date and time haven’t been confirmed yet. We were considering doing it a half-hour before we are to line up for Opening Ceremonies.

Upcoming Event – Champions and Commons – 8/26/18

We will be choosing our new Baronial Armored Champion, Ladies’ Armored Champion, Baronial Rapier Champion, and Ladies’ Rapier Champion at this event. We are looking forward to an excellent day of fighting. We will also be holding Order meetings for the Salamander and the Horse. We are also planning to hold a sizable Court, so that Our Court at Yule will be shorter in case it becomes a Royal Progress. We encourage everyone from the Barony to join us at Commons and spend the day.

Retiring Officer – Chronicler

Please note that the Barony is searching for a new Chronicler. We would thank Lady Lianor de Matos for her service and for continuing in the role as we look for someone new to manage this office. For Lianor, Vivat!

Retiring Officer – Chamberlain

We would like to thank Lord Martyn de Haliwell for his service to the Barony as Chamberlain! Your efforts organizing, storing, and moving the Barony’s property have been well done and much appreciated! Vivat!

In closing

Thank you all for your efforts with the Barony. Everyone’s positive actions, from participating in fight practice, to crafting, to helping run the daily life and events of the Barony, enriches us. We appreciate all you offer. Until next month,

Pray know we remain,

 – Rowen and Suba


May 2018 Officer Reports and Meeting Notes

We opened at 8:00pm.

OLD BUSINESS

  • Pennsic

Chana reported – There is one week left to pre-reg to stay with Bhakail if you stayed with Bhakail last year. Please do so soon. We are going to be very full this year. There will be another meeting soon, after the first weekend in June. Camp fees go to Suba.

  • Philadelphia Renaissance Fair

Chana reported – There was a demo this past weekend. There were a few small organization issues since this is a new faire, but it went very well. We have already gotten an email from a contact made there. There was a huge draw from the fighters. We have been unofficially invited back for next year. 

  • EK 50 Year

Bryan is looking to put together some stuff for the history demo, but that involves arriving early to set things up, on Wednesday. Rosie and John Patrick have volunteered to be there Wednesday to set up the Barony’s history booth. There was some confusion about registering Bhakail as a camping group, so arrangements weren’t made. There will not be a Bhakail camp. People from the Barony who wish to camp may wish to reach out to the Tadcasters or the Shire of Barren Sands.

  • Bylaw Ammendments

At the April meeting, Baron Rowen had proposed striking sections XV.A and XV.B of the Bylaws, which discussed mandatory quarterly Baronial Council meetings. The sections were read to the meeting. The floor was opened to discussion about striking these sections. It was suggested that we not have things in the Bylaws that we don’t need. It was brought up that the Baronial Council was created to take care of business that was not getting done at business meetings. However, business has been getting done at the meetings. Additionally, we have not had a Baronial Council in some time and this has not affected the operation of the Barony. It was suggested that, rather than removing the whole section, we only remove the requirement to hold it quarterly and instead have language calling for it as needed. It was pointed out that sections defining the Baronial Council can’t easily be removed, as the definition is necessary in other sections of the bylaws discussing how to deal with possible issues with the Seneschal or Coronets. It is also mentioned in other places in the bylaws.

There was also a motion to change the wording throughout the Bylaws from Greater Officers and Lesser Officers, as defined in Section III.A and III.B, to Required Officers and Additional Officers. There must be a suggested wording change for the Bylaws for this amendment to be enacted.

Muin proposed that the two opinions be written up for presentation at next months meeting where we will continue the debate. Lianor seconded and a majority voted to approve this.

  • Fighting Tabards

Rosie said they are coming along nicely. Five or six are halfway done. 

  • Barren Sands Demo

This will be June 23 and 24. If anyone is available and interested there will be free admission for SCA people and there is weekend camping. They are checking on above ground fires. We will be sharing the space with LARPers. Wet site after the demo for the day is over. They would like to have A&S, fighting and fencing.

  • Commons and Champions

Sabine is looking at putting together a bid for this event. The bards have requested a bardic track. It may be the case that the Coronets need to choose a new bardic champion, as the current one is moving to Michigan. 

  • Zip Code Committee

We have received a much expanded request for zip codes from the Bailiwick which is going in for review. A map was circulated so we could see what things were being requested. The committee will come up with recommendations to present.

  • Officers needed

Martyn will be stepping down and the office of Chamberlain will be vacant as of June. While not a required office, this is a useful office for the Barony as the is a good bit of Baronial property to keep track of. A request has been made for Letters of Intent. Those interested should speak to Muin and Martyn.

Lianor wishes to step down as Chronicler as soon as a replacement can be found. Chronicler is a required office for the Barony. A request has been made for Letters of Intent. Those interested should speak to Muin and Lianor.

NEW BUSINESS

  • BoD Commentary

Board of Directors has requested commentary on a new Mission Statement which can be found here – http://socsen.sca.org/request-for-commentary-mission-statement/

The BoD has also requested commentary on proposed anti-hate speech language found here – http://socsen.sca.org/request-for-comments-hate-ban-language/

  • Yule 2018

Martyn has a bid proposal ready to go to the financial committee before the June meeting. There has only been one change from last year and that is to hire a professional cleaning crew to come in after the event. The amount would be between $350 and $400. This would be the cleaning crew from St. Kevin’s which was used after Baronial Investiture in 2017. Several people agreed that this would be a great idea. Site fee would probably to up a dollar. John Marshall organizing the food for the day.

  • Hunter’s Picnic in Caer Adamant

Caer Adamant has an archery, thrown weapons, and armored combat event coming up, Hunter’s Picnic, on May 26.

  • New Heirs to the EK

Vivant to the new Prinz and Princess, Wilhelm and Vienna!

OFFICER REPORTS

  • Coronets

Rowen and Suba reported – Report was posted online and can be found here – http://bhakail.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/index.php/2018/06/06/coronet-report-may-2018/

  • Seneschal

Muin reported – Self care, people! He has noticed quite a few Bhakailis looking like they are on the edge of burning themselves out. It’s great to do a lot of things for the Barony and for the other local groups and to be at every event, but take a little bit of time for yourself and do some self care. Because a burnt out Bhakaili is not our goal. We would rather you miss the occasional event and see you at more events in the long run, than to never see you again. Just a personal opinion.

  • Herald

Ragna reported – The Herald’s report is available on the website here – http://bhakail.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/index.php/2018/05/08/salamander-pursuivants-report-2018-05/

  • Knight Marshal

Vachir reported – The Philly Ren Fair was great and a lot of people were interested. Fighter practice is going great. Fighters have been moving outside, if we would like to switch to the smaller room. Vashir took Will as a man-at-arms at the Ren Faire.

  • Rapier Marshal

No report

  • Captain of Combat Archers

Jibril reported – Bring your combat archery gear and armor next week, so we can shoot at the fighters. They will also help finish up not done kits.

  • Exchequer

Philadelphia reported – All the “Dedicated Funds” have been recently reviewed. The activities which are being supported have received the money or at least are aware of the money earmarked for them.

The next project is contacting everyone who has an outstanding uncashed check from the Barony. If the checks aren’t cashed after 3 years, we’re supposed to escheat the money to the government. (If the check has been lost, we’ll reissue a new one.)

Site rental deposits have been paid for Champions & Commons to be held on Sunday, 8/26/18, and Yule Revel to be held on Saturday, 12/8/18.

Bhakail received a (whopping) $0.35 as settlement from the TD Bank “penny arcade” lawsuit.

  • Chamberlain

Martyn reported – The Barony has stuff, and I am in need of a replacement. Nominations for Chamberlain are open. Olease reach out with any questions!

  • Chronicler

Lianor reported – I am still seeking a replacement for the office of Chronicler. Please let Lianor or Muin as the Seneschal know if you are willing to take this position.

  • Minister of Arts and Sciences

Hrafnhildr reported – A&S at Ellen’s has restarted on Thursday nights, starting around 6:30pm. Caer Adamant has some A&S things coming up as well, including a July 4th silk banner painting workshop.

  • Minister of the Lists

No report.

  • Chatelaine

Chana reported – Bhakail is still gathering newcomers, and we love having them!  Our demo at the Philadelphia Renaissance Faire was a huge draw, people loved watching the fighters and crafters, and have expressed interest in joining our fine Society.  With fighting/camping season coming, we hope to bring our newcomers to some weekend events and get them to see the breadth of what the SCA has to offer!  For those who have expressed interest in combat archery, we will now be starting practices during socials on Tuesday nights.  Hooray for warm weather!

  • Chancellor Minor

Rosie reported – If you want any type of youth activities, let me know.

  • Webminister

Runi reported – We have a website. We have set up people with emails, and the officers list is working again. There are a few comments that we deleted since they were spam. It was noted that we should archive the Canton of Black Icorndall’s social media and website pages, as well as move the information about the Social to the Barony’s website.

  • Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust

Martyn reported – Information on Ivyeinrust’s meeting can be found on the Bailiwick’s website – http://ivyeinrust.eastkingdom.org/april-2018-bailiwick-meeting-minutes-summary/

Meeting closed at 9:18pm


Coronet Report – May 2018

Greetings and all good things to the Barony of Bhakail and the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust and those others who read these words, from Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba!

Balfar’s Challenge – 4/21/18

Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba attended Balfar’s Challenge in the Barony of Dragonship Haven. There was word from the Court of Their Majesties, Brennan III and Caoilfhionn III. Lady Aurelia Alfaiata d’Alcacova was inducted into the Order of the Maunche! Vivat! There was also word from the Court of Their Excellencies Dragonship Haven, Joseph and Brose. They have given Their Barony’s Award of the Fiskur, a service token, to Lord Morwill MacShane, Lady Triona MacCaskey, and Lord Kamejima Matasaburou Takauji called Taka. Vivant!

Scribal Schola in the Shire – 4/28/18

Baroness Suba had a wonderful time learning new skills in calligraphy and illumination and was pleased to help our neighbors in the Shire of Caer Adamant in supporting their event. It is hoped that this event will happen again. Regretfully, modern obligations prevented Baron Rowen from attending.

Philly Ren Faire Demo – 5/5/18-5/6/18

Baron Rowen attended the demo held at the Philadelphia Renaissance Faire. Baroness Suba was unable to be there, as She was attending to obligations at Crown Tourney.. We would like to thank everyone who came out to support this demo. In addition to our Barony, we were aided by residents of Iron Bog, Barren Sands, and Hartshorn-dale, and we very much appreciated their support. We had armored fighters, rapier fighters, musicians, and artisans working on many types of crafts. We feel we had a good showing, particularly on Saturday, and would like to thank Maitresse Sabine de Kerbriant for organizing the Barony’s participation both days.

In addition, Our Knight Marshal, Baron Vachir Arslajin took Wilhelm Grün as his Man-at-Arms at the Demo on Saturday. Vivant to Vachir and Wilhelm!

Crown Tournament – 5/5/18

Baroness Suba was pleased to attend the East Kingdom Crown Tourney in the Barony of Ruantallan. Vivant to our new Prince and Princess, Sir Wilhelm von Ostenbrücke and Mistress Vienna de la Mer! In addition, friends of the Barony were also competitors. Baron Fearghus O’Conchobhair competed for crown and for the honor of Baroness Christina Jenevra de Carvalhal.

The Scribal Art of Bhakailis and Friends

The works of the the scribes of Bhakail and its friends continue to be displayed in Royal Court. We have heard that given out were scrolls created by Lady Triona MacCaskey, Lady Mairi Crawford, Lady Mýrún Leifsdóttir, Lady Shoshana Gryffyth, and Baroness Mari Clock van Hoorne.

Board of Directors Seeks Commentary

There are two issues on which the Board of Directors of the SCA is seeking input.

The SCA Board of Directors is seeking commentary on their proposed language addressing hate speech. http://socsen.sca.org/request-for-comments-hate-ban-language/

Commentary on a new SCA Mission Statement and Statement of Core Values is sought by the Board of Directors. http://socsen.sca.org/mission-core-board-request-for-commentary-revised-mission-statement-and-core-values/

If you have input you wish to give on these issues, please contact the BoD via the links above.

First Year

As we come up to the end of our first year as Baron and Baroness, we cannot thank the Barony enough for the support you have shown us and the enthusiasm you show for the Barony and the SCA. You each make us proud to be Bhakailis. Waauugghh, Bhakail!

 

Pray know we remain,

 – Rowen and Suba


Coronet Report – October 2017

Greetings to the Barony of Bhakail, the Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust, the Canton of Black Icorndall, and friends!

As Baron and Baroness, we continue to travel quite a bit to represent the Barony. We wrote last month that we attended Brennan and Caoilfhionn’s Ducal Challenge in the Barony of Settmour Swamp on September 9th. We didn’t include that Lady Myrun Leifsdottir and Lady Triona MacCaskey contributed art to the Challenge, Lord Ian Douglas fought in the fencing tourney, and Lady Aurelia Alfaiata d’Alcacova won the A&S competition, making her Settmour Swamp’s new A&S Champion.

We also traveled to Barony of An Dubhaigeainn for the Investiture of Baron Titus Aurelius Magnus and Baroness Sorcha of Stonegrave. We brought gifts for Their Excellencies, crafted by the talented artisans of Bhakail. Lady Roseia Poseia cross-stitched the arms of An Dubhaigeainn onto a table runner and Lady Iseaulte of the Clews made some lovely sekanjabin. Also, we were pleased to see Lady Aurelia Alfaiata d’Alcacova apprentice to Mistress Vienna de la Mer. We wish them both the best in this new endeavor!

This past weekend, we attended the Last Court of Ioannes and Honig and the Coronation and First Court of Ivan and Matilde. Many exciting things happened and we were pleased to be there. In the morning, before Last Court began, Baroness Suba took Lady Jehannette Bouchart as her first protege. We wish them both much success in that relationship. During Last Court, Baron Rowen was given Honig’s Queen’s Cypher for his work as the Royal Court Herald.

Last Court concluded and the Coronation of Ivan and Matilde began. There was some beautiful set dressing, setting the scene of St Basil’s Cathedral. Assistance in the set construction was provided by Baron Vachir Artslanjin and Lord Egill Illugasson. Their Majesties processed in to some lovely choral music and additional incidental music was played throughout the Coronation and First Court. Maitresse Sabine de Kerbriant, Lady Margretha La Fauvelle, Lord Martyn de Halliwell, Lady Siobhan ingean ui Dhonnabhain, Lady Adelisa Salernitana, and Lord Sean O’Morain all helped contribute to the ambiance of the day. The Greater Officers of State were called forward and it was announced that Maistir Mael Eoin mac Echuid had taken on the role of Kingdom Webminister. We, as Baron and Baroness of Bhakail, swore fealty to the Crown along with the rest of the gathered Landed Baronage.

During the day, Lady Margretha La Fauvelle took Lord Phelippe le Vigneron as a student. Later in the afternoon, First Court began. The Queen’s Guard were called first. Each guard was given some inkle woven trim as a favor from the Queen, crafted by Lady Beatrice de Warynton and Lady Chana Freidl the Maker and our own Baroness Ysmay de Lynn was named to Queen Matilde’s Guard. During Court, Lady Myrun Leifsdottir was awarded Silver Brooch and Lady Margretha La Fauvelle was given a Writ for the Order of the Laurel, to be answered at Yule. Both Lady Triona MacCaskey and Lady Myrun Leifsdottir contributed scrolls to the Court of Their Majesties.

We have several upcoming events. Many Bhakailis will be supporting Shire Wars, hosted by the Shire of Buckland Cross the weekend of October 21st. Maistir Mael Eoin mac Echuid will be coordinating the dayboard and feast and we encourage those interested in the kitchens to offer him help. We had considered holding our Thrown Weapons Champions there but, considering the distance, We believe We’d rather hold the competition in the spring at a local event in order to elicit more Baronial residents as competitors.

On Sunday, November 19th, the Barony is hosting a demo at the Philadelphia German Society. This will be “Lunch with Luther”, including dishes that Martin Luther might have eaten 500 years ago. Mistress Juliana von Altenfeld will be coordinating the kitchen, and We’d ask that those who are able come out to assist with this. There has also been a request for music from the German Renaissance. Please let Us know if you need contact information for Mistress Juliana or for Mistress Philadelphia Brown, who is coordinating this demo for us.

Coming soon after will be the Barony’s Yule Revel in Renaissance Germany, to be held on December 9th. We are fortunate to be hosting Their Majesties Ivan and Matilde for the day. Assistance is still needed in many areas and We would encourage everyone in the Barony to help with this event. Please contact Mistress Philadelphia for more information. In addition to the day’s festivities, We will be hosting Our Baronial Brewing Championship and Our Baronial Arts and Sciences Championship. We would like to thank Lady Cassandra Cassandra Arques de Northmannia and Lady Shoshana Gryffyth for their help setting the rules for these competitions. You can find more information on the requirements for entry at the event website, http://www.eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3221.

Lastly, we believe a bid is being put together for Tavern, to be held Saturday, January 27, 2018. When this event comes together, it is our intention to hold Our Gaming Championship and Our Bardic Championship there.

As always, our deepest thanks to our retainers and those others who have helped us in Our travels, and all who help the Barony shine in large and small ways. We are very grateful for you all.

Pray know We remain,

For Barony, Bailiwick, and Canton,

 – Baron Rowen and Baroness Suba