December 2021 Business Meeting Minutes
Coronet’s Report – Baron Muin maqq Minain
Hello and well wishes to the People of Bhakail, Our neighbors, Our Allies… and That Guy…
This last weekend We held our annual event, Bhakail Yule, and I would like to take a moment to thank and congratulate those Noble Souls without whom this event would not have been possible.
Lady Scolastica and ThLord Bryan who stewarded the event. This is no easy task, and any sizable event in the SCA often becomes a runaway cart of rabid herring, and their ability to keep the average attendee from seeing any underlying chaos is the challenge these two rose up to confront.
Master Mael Eoin and Lady Triona accompanied by a band of merry fig-pluckers, did fabulous things with food, for the betterment of all. (Did you get a handpie? Did you try the Jeweled Rice?)
A further thank you to Master Marl Eoin for stepping in to Herald Court when Our Herald, Lady Ragna was trodden upon by ducks, and out Protocol Droiiii-ah Our Major Domo, Master Rowen, came down with purple spotted pentapox.
Mistress Philadelphia was an unseen force, a shark-like ripple upon the tranquil surface of the waters of the Celebration, coordinating the Door/Troll duties. If you saw her, it was either because she chose to allow you to… or it was too late for you, may the Gods keep your remains safe from rot.
Mistress Gisela and Lady Eleanora held the front lines of the Troll Desk and reservations with aplomb. Possibly also a mango. Maybe a few apples, too.
Mistress Scheherazade ran the Royal Receiving Room with Grace and Hospitality that were far above what Their Majesties might have suspected awaited them.
The A&S competition and the Brewing Competition were wrangled by the newly hitched Lord Dietrich along with Mistress Lissa Underhill.
Our newest Champion of A&S, Lady Svana Vefari, and Brewing Champion, Lady Siobhan, who both wowed the various judges with entries that were magnificent and tasty to behold, as well as being scrupulously documented.
THLord John Patrick and THLady Rosiea who, as ever, were at the event as early, if not earlier than all others, and were there to the end, working on every aspect of the Celebration to see that it would run smoothly.
THLady Alesia, Our Seneschal, who worked for the last year to keep all of these various plates spinning.
A final shout of praise goes to my Signet, THLady Màiri Crawford for wrangling scribes and enscribulating herself. Fannnnnntastic!
(Anyone left out of this list of thanks is solely the fault of Baron Muin and not due to any ill intent on his part. No matter what Bob the Skull says.)
Ever your Baron of Bhakail;
Seneschal’s Report – Honorable Lady Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar
Yule happened! There were people to see and a feast to be had. The Royals came and there was court and awards and cheering! It wasn’t quite like Yule of the past, but it was a step in the right direction.
I would also like to thank everyone who came to Yule to celebrate the season and friendship with us and who patiently waited to have their ID’s and vaccination cards checked. Thank you to everyone who helped out in some way, to those on staff, to those who shared their arts with us and to those who fed us and entertained us and gave us new beverages to try.
Thank you to Their Majesties and His Highness for coming to visit us and hold court and recognize individuals for their contributions to our society.
Pax happened! We are sad that it conflicted with Yule, but it was a great event in its own right. A big thank you to Lady Chana who put in so much work and made us look so good. And thank you to those who stopped by and assisted her in running the table.
And as 2021 winds to a close I wish you all a happy holiday season and a peaceful New Year.
– Alesia de Maris
Social Media Deputy – Magister Rowen Cloteworthy
Hello, hello, the Barony!
Another month, another group of new subscribers to Bhakail’s social media. We had eight new subscribers, some from other groups, some new to the Barony. Those newcomers have been directed to Lady Chana as the Chatelaine. Information continues to flow between our FB page and the email list.
Until next time,
Exchequer Report – Mistress Philadelphia Brown
Waiting for the receipts from Yule.
Chamberlain’s Report – Honorable Lord Bryan Mac Dhunghaill an Boghadair
Martyn picked up the first half of the Baronial cooking gear from the German Society today. He will be picking up the rest tomorrow. The staff of Tavern can contact Bryan with a list of what they will need.
Herald’s Report – Lady Ragna Grímólfsdóttir
His Excellency’s most recent court was held at Bhakail Yule on December 11th.
Anyone interested in producing scrolls for future Baronial Courts is welcome to contact me.
From the Eastern Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI)
This letter includes all new names and devices that have been submitted to the Eastern College of Heralds in the last month. It takes about two months for items to reach the next stage, the Eastern Letter of Decision.
- December 2021: I did not immediately recognize any of the items on this letter as belonging to members of the Barony.
From the Eastern Letter of Decision (LoD)
This letter reports what items will be forwarded to Laurel to be decided on and what will be returned to the submitter for more work. It takes about six more months for submissions to reach the next stage, the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns.
- November 2021: Mael Eoin mac Echuid’s new alternate name (Æskæll inn svarti) has been forwarded on to Laurel.
- December 2021: No letter has yet been posted.
From the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR)
This letter says what items have been accepted by SCA’s College of Arms and what has been returned to the submitter unregistered.
- September 2021: I did not see any names or items that I recognized as belonging to members of the Barony.
- October 2021:
+ Ian Douglas’ device change (Papellony azure and argent, a Caucasian melusine proper crined Or and on a chief argent a compass rose vert.) has been returned. His new badge ((Fieldless) A Caucasian melusine proper crined Or.) has been accepted.
+ Maryna Borowska’s badge ((Fieldless) A peacock regardant proper maintaining in its beak a dagger argent.) has been accepted.
+ Sabine de Kerbriant’s alternate name (Birdie Hellcock) and badge ((Fieldless) A shuttlecock argent.) have been accepted.
If you are currently unsure of the status of your name or device, please contact me at email@example.com and I will provide you with an update.
– Ragna Grímólfsdóttir
Chronicler’s Report – Lady Triona MacCasky
Historian’s Report – Honorable Lord Bryan Mac Dhunghaill an Boghadair
Nothing to report.
Knight Marshal’s Report – Lord Egill Illugasson
Practice will be moving to a shared location with Hartshorn-dale for the winter season, announcements with details will be forthcoming as soon as I hear back from their knight marshal.
Rapier Marshal’s Report – Don Melchior Kriebel
Archery Marshal – Lady Maryna Borowska
Nothing to report.
Thrown Weapons Marshal – The Honorable Lord Mikael melrakki
Nothing to report.
Minister of the Lists’ Report – The Honorable Lord Mikael melrakki
Chataleine’s Report – Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
What a successful demo at PAX Unplugged this weekend! Despite the current pandemic, thousands of people attended the convention and I was able to teach so many of them some great Medieval games as well as a bit about our Society. I made some strong contacts and renewed old ones from throughout the Knowne World, from the Kingdom Seneschal of Caid to former Eastern Royals. Within a day of the convention ending, three of the new people I spoke to reached out for more information about joining the SCA, and I am confident I will hear from many more as people go through their stacks of business cards collected at the convention.
On an exciting note for some, PAX was created by the writer and illustrator of the webcomic Penny Arcade, who I got the chance to meet and speak with at leisure about the SCA. It turns out the author, Jerry Holkins, has come to SCA events in the West Kingdom and noted our kindness and hospitality towards newcomers. I gifted him one of the wooden game boards donated to the event as well as a 3-D printed salamander Mael Eoin gave me to hand out.
Knowing this demo was held opposite Yule was especially challenging, but I could not have accomplished anything this weekend without the kind souls that stopped by the table to sit and teach games in their own free time at PAX. WIthout the help of Solveig, Zach, Maryna, His Excellency Aurddeilen, Genjiro, and Bidan, I would not have been able to take much needed food and bathroom breaks. Rick Myers’ assistance with packing the car, hauling the wagon, setting up the booth, and talking up the SCA, saved my sanity, my patience, and my shoulder sockets, for which I will be forever grateful. I am also extremely lucky to have had a NJ Renaissance Faire actress stop by the booth and volunteer her time to sit with us for a few hours each day and play chess.
It was a wonderful weekend that I wish I could have shared with the rest of you!
Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
Minister of Arts & Sciences’ Report – Lady Maryna Borowska
Chancellor Minor’s Report – Lady Honorable Lady Roseia Poseia
Greetings, Barony of Bhakail! I have nothing new to report.
In Service to the Dream,
– Roseia Posey
Webminister’s Report – Máistir Mael Eoin mac Echuidh
No updates to the website this month. I’m putting word out to get feedback on how our website is for newcomers as well as members; whether we have useful information there that’s actually being used or if we’re missing anything.
– Mael Eoin
Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust – Honorable Lady Livia Petralia
- Possible Spring camping event – Alesia asked for suggestions for possible camping sites on Facebook and the list, a few suggestions were made. She will be looking into them after the first of the year. She will also be looking for campgrounds in less populated areas of the Barony.
- Site Committee – Discussed starting a committee to look for new sites. Bryan volunteered to lead the committee, Ragna and Eleanora volunteered to be on the committee. Ragna is looking for information on St. Marks in Wynnewood as a possible event site.
- Event Comps – There was a discussion regarding comping certain people for the feast. We will be looking into the policies of our neighbors for some guidance. Right now, the event steward makes a decision and includes the comps in the budget when sending it to the Finance Committee.
- Financial Policy – The Barony’s Finance policy needs to be updated; Philly will bring this up to the Finance Committee.
- Yule – The day went well; the only glitch was the court ended 40 minutes early. As feast was planned for the end of court, this made the wait a bit longer than expected. The check in process worked well, thank you to everyone who worked to make every go smoothly. We ran into an issue with the stove and sink in the upstairs kitchen which made the cook’s job harder. There was a discussion regarding the kitchen and parking issues with the site, we will start looking for a new site. There will be an online staff meeting soon to compare notes and ways to improve for the next Yule.
- Pax – It was super fun and a lot of work. Lady Chana made some strong connections with people interested in what we do. There were thousands of people there despite the pandemic. Chana thanked the people, both SCAdian and non-SCAdian, who helped. Someone Chana met suggested that next year we do an hour-long panel and a 20-minute fighting demo.
- Tavern – The event stewards are working on the PayPal paperwork and the menus. A preliminary event announcement will go up on the East Kingdom Event page by this weekend. A suggestion was made to let people know about event registration on Facebook, the list, and any other social media as necessary. Philadelphia has passed a vaccine mandate for catering halls and restaurants that goes into effect in January. We need to get more information, does this mandate also affect private parties in rental halls?
- New Exchequer sought – The Exchequer is looking for a deputy or a successor. Her term is up in June 2022.
- New Chronicler sought – Chronicler is stepping down in February 2022, looking for a successor.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.