July 2020 Business Meeting Minutes
Coronet’s Report – Baron Muin maqq Minain
With the ridiculous nature of the mutated camel’s back that is the corona virus we need to all be both assiduous and fastidious in our conduct and hygiene, we ALSO need to be flexible in our expectations of events and activities. Be safe.
– Muin, Baron of Bhakail
Seneschal’s Report – Honorable Lady Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar
The state of PA is changing its recommendations daily. At this time, please do what you need to do to stay safe so we can all see each other when events start up again.
– THL Alesia de Maris, Seneschal of Bhakail
Social Media Deputy – Master Rowen Cloteworthy
People have inquired about opening a Baronial Instagram page. Do we need or want that as a platform right now? There has also been talk of setting up a Discord server. There’s definitely two opinions about that. Some people feel they’re overwhelmed with social media and wouldn’t track Discord as an additional feed. However there are a number of people who’d like to see that set up because it’s a more primary social media source for them.
Did a number of updates to the Baronial website.
Business meeting minutes for Feb-June have been added.
On the Welcome page, it now references “pre-17th century world” instead of “pre-1600 Europe and the cultures that had contact with it”, to bring it into alignment with the SCA’s updated mission. Also some language changes and updated references to the Baron, rather than Baron and Baroness. Also, a link to the Announcements page has been put on the Welcome page.
The “About the Barony” page now has an image of the badge and descriptions of what the device and badge are. The Canton of Black Icorndall has been removed. Links to the Bhakail EK Wiki and the East Kingdom website were added. The outdated zip code list has been removed and replaced with a link to the EK zip code finder.
Some titles on the Officers page have been updated. A link was added for the Bailiwick and Social Media.
The Baronial Champions page has been updated, as has the Baronial Appointments page. All references to Baron and Baroness have been changed to Baronial Seat.
The Announcements page has been updated for the first time since 2015. :-O
The page for Bhakail Yule has been updated to reference Yule coming in 2020. Last pointed to 2018.
On the Resources page, the subscription link for the email list was updated. The subscription link for the Pennsic list was added. Several broken links were removed. Financial policies were moved from Resources to Law & Policy.
On the Newcomers page, links were updated for the email list and links added for Announcements and Calendar. Several pages on the EK site for newcomers were taken down, so our links were updated.
In service to Barony and Kingdom,
Exchequer’s Report – Mistress Philadelphia Brown
Working on the 2nd quarter exchequer report, which is due at July month-end.
Our Shire Wars check has been cashed.
The only “sunk costs” for upcoming events is the pavilion rental fee for Commons. We haven’t yet paid the $50 for insurance for Commons.
We haven’t paid the site rental deposits or signed the contracts for Yule 2020 or Tavern 2021 yet.
We haven’t yet paid out any advances for food/supplies for Commons, Yule, or Tavern.
Chamberlain’s Report – Honorable Lord Bryan Mac Dhunghaill an Boghadair
Unto the Barony of Bhakail does THL Bryan Mac Dhunghaill an Boghadair send greeting and the hope that all is safe and well.
There is not much to report. Between now and December, I will be putting out a day to organize and count the equipment.
In Service to the East,
Herald’s Report – Lady Ragna Grímólfsdóttir
The report is available on the website.
Chronicler’s Report – Lady Triona MacCasky
Nothing to report.
Knight Marshal’s Report – Lord Egill Illugasson
Practice continues to be on hold for the time being.
Rapier Marshal’s Report – Don Melchior Kriebel
Practices are canceled until further notice.
Minister of the Lists’ Report – Mistress Judith the Confused
Greetings unto those within reach of the Barony of Bhakail,
I bid you welcome and hopefully welcome back to in-person events in the future. At present, the next Bhakail Champions and Commons Tournaments are scheduled to occur on Sunday, August 23rd if the signs continue to be favorable and The Oracles agree.
The Honorable Lady Olivia Baker, the East Kingdom MOL, announced last Friday that she had recently begun to catch up on paperwork and began sending out authorization cards about two weeks ago. She still has more to process, but expects to be caught up shortly.
If you have any questions or need to update your paperwork, please contact your local MOLs and we will be happy to assist.
– Mistress Gisela and Mistress Judith
Chataleine’s Report – Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
Nothing new to report. People still contact me through the website and I respond to them as I get their messages.
– Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
Minister of Arts & Sciences’ Report – Lady Maryna Borowska
Hi! Art continues to happen. Check the East Kingdom MOAS website for lots of great happenings!
Chancellor Minor’s Report – Lady Honorable Lady Roseia Poseia
Greetings! Basically there is nothing to report until we can again start having events. Still planning to do the Youth Activities for Shire Wars of the Shire of Blak Rose.
Webminister’s Report – Lord Rúni inn írski
- August Business Meeting – Normally we would not hold a Baronial Business Meeting in the month of August, because many of us would be at Pennsic. However, since our town run has been extended an extra 52 weeks this year due to the pandemic, there will be an online Business Meeting held on Tuesday, August 11, at 7 PM.
- Art Challenge – Chana, A&S Champion – Our Baron’s Art Challenge is still happening! His Excellency has set the challenge – “Pennsic isn’t. Bhakail is.” I hope to see some great art during Peace Week! Remember to send your entries to Baron Muin (firstname.lastname@example.org); Lady Chana, A&S Champion (email@example.com); and Lady Maryna, Minister of Arts and Sciences (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pennsic – Chana, Campmaster – As we all think about the Pennsic-prep we would be doing right now, I encourage you all to support those SCA artists you would normally have supported at Pennsic. Many have Etsy sites or their own websites, and a Facebook group called “SCA Merchant Relief” was formed several months ago to help SCAdians around the world who have lost substantial income due to our quarantines. Please consider purchasing something from these artists, we can keep each other afloat so we can see them at future events.
- Commons – It was decided at the meeting that Commons will be canceled for this coming August. There are a number of restrictions with regards to the number of people and activities that could take place, as well as the concerns for the health of all of our members that factored into this decision. His Excellency will be contacting our current Champions for both armored combat and rapier, and ask if they wish to continue their service to our Barony or to step down. If they wish to step down, His Excellency will make arrangements for obtaining the regalia from the outgoing Champion. Depending on how things go, we may be looking to reschedule sometime next spring.
- Yule – Maryna, Event Steward – Yule is tentatively still on. We will have to make a decision next month whether or not the contract is signed with the German society. If a contract is signed, and the event cannot be held, there is a sum of money that will be lost. It is not an insignificant amount, so it will be discussed and voted on at the next meeting.
- Archery – Maryna – Archery guidelines have not yet been issued for re-opening practices.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.