August 2020 Business Meeting Minutes
Coronet’s Report – Baron Muin maqq Minain
Greetings to the Barony, its Friends and Allies, and all!
We have just enjoyed our third Behind the Ramparts Ethereal Dinner event, and I wanted to start off with a brief thank you to all of you who joined us. It was a lovely and lighthearted affair. Just what We needed.
This last month there have been many options for online meetings, classes, and concerts, and I believe these are the things that are helping to make the lives of many SCAdians easier, or, at least to some extent, less stressful.
If any of you have ever had any thoughts about hosting a class, doing an instructional video, or hosting an Ethereal Event, now is the time to step up and make this dream a reality.
Take heart, you are not alone.
Wishing you all the best, and that you take care of yourselves;
– Muin, Baron of Bhakail
Seneschal’s Report – Honorable Lady Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar
From the Board of Directors – During the BoD’s ad hoc meeting of July 28, 2020, it was decided to cancel all in-person events until January 31, 2021.
Yule 2020 Cancelled – Due to the BoD’s decision, Bhakail Yule has been cancelled for 2020. I know this seems to be a heavy blow on top of so many other hits we have had recently, but if it keeps us safe and lessens the number of new cases of plague, it will be all worth it when we are finally able to gather with our friends and loved ones to resume the activities we love so much.
Financial Status of the SCA – Many of you have seen the BoD video or read the notice of the status of the SCA. There has been a significant decline in revenue as well as a decline in membership. This situation threatens the Society’s ability to return to the game we love and miss. The best way at this time to support the SCA is to re-up your membership if it has lapsed. The East Kingdom Seneschal is looking into ways to assist those who lack the resources to resume/continue their membership. Information will be shared with the Barony as it becomes available.
Officer Vacancies – At this time, two officer positions have expired and we need to fill the following positions – Minister of the Lists and Salamander Pursuivant (Herald). If you have any questions about the responsibilities of these positions, please contact the Seneschal. The Seneschal will be accepting Letters of Intent for both positions until the end of the next Barony Meeting on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Virtual Pennsic – The last month has brought more new changes to our Society. The very first virtual Pennsic took place. For those of us on Facebook we got to enjoy regular announcements (move your car to the parking lot!), weather reports and reminders of items lost and found. As someone who has been unable to attend Pennsic for the last couple of years and has had to live it vicariously through Facebook updates I found it to be comfortingly familiar.
Please stay safe.
– THL Alesia de Maris, Seneschal of Bhakail
Social Media Deputy – Master Rowen Cloteworthy
Hello, the Barony!
New people continue to join the Barony’s FB group. We’ve had 6 new people in the last month.
I continue to try and make sure important notes from the Society get passed to email and FB, like the BoD’s recent announcement that funds to continue operating are falling very short.
Next, we’ll have to be a little tighter on distributing information about our virtual events. I missed that the event organizer for the latest Bhakail: Behind the Ramparts event only posted it to FB and not to email, so I didn’t get a copy of the announcement to the email list until the day before the event. That cuts non-FB people out of the information loop. I apologized to the email list for that oversight.
In service to Baron and Bhakail,
Exchequer’s Report – Mistress Philadelphia Brown
2nd quarter exchequer report sent in.
The Champions Commons pavilion rental fee (less $6.50 service charge) was returned. (Thanks, Alesia!!)
The German Society has been informed that they can release our Yule Revel and Tavern dates. They were disappointed but understood. (These dates were pencilled in only. No contracts signed yet nor deposits paid so we are not out any money by cancelling.)
Herald’s Report – Lady Ragna Grímólfsdóttir
Heraldic Submissions – If you have submitted an item to the College for review via another consulting herald, please let me know what name you are submitting it under so that the progress of your items can be included on future versions of this report.
From the Eastern Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI) – This letter includes all new names and devices that have been submitted to the Eastern College of Heralds in the last month. It takes about two months for items to reach the next stage, the Eastern Letter of Decision.
- July 2020: Berrick Grayveson has submitted a new alternate name (Jacqueline Cross) and a new release of name (Jack Cross).
From the Eastern Letter of Decision (LoD) – This letter reports what items will be forwarded to Laurel to be decided on and what will be returned to the submitter for more work. It takes about six more months for submissions to reach the next stage, the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns.
- July 2020: Jibril ibn `Ammar al-Fayyad has submitted a new badge (Fieldless) A lion Or seated in a wooden chair proper, maintaining a wooden crossbow proper.
From the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR) – This letter says what items have been accepted by SCA’s College of Arms and what has been returned to the submitter unregistered.
- May 2020: Iriniia Mieszkowna’s device (Per pale azure and argent, two sparrows rising respectant counterchanged argent and sable) and badge ((Fieldless) A sparrow rising contourny maintaining a chasing hammer and an artist’s paintbrush both inverted in saltire sable) has been accepted.
If you are currently unsure of the status of your name or device, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will provide you with an update.
– Ragna Grímólfsdóttir
Chronicler’s Report – Lady Triona MacCasky
Nothing to report.
Knight Marshal’s Report – Lord Egill Illugasson
Full contact practice continues to be on hold pending kingdom approval to resume. Socially-distanced practices are available in Iron Bog and Caer Adamant. Please see their respective Facebook pages for details or feel free to reach out to me for information. If interest is expressed in a socially-distanced Bhakail practice, arrangements can be made for one.
Rapier Marshal’s Report – Don Melchior Kriebel
Practices are canceled until further notice.
Minister of the Lists’ Report – Mistress Judith the Confused
Greetings unto you all,
As you are aware, Bhakail Champions and Commons has been cancelled, following the guidance from the East Kingdom and the SCA Board of Directors. So sorry to miss being with you all.
No new pending information to share at this time. Wishing you all to be well and stay safe.
Yours in Service,
– Mistress Gisela and Mistress Judith
Chataleine’s Report – Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
Nothing to report.
Minister of Arts & Sciences’ Report – Lady Maryna Borowska
Nothing to report.
Chancellor Minor’s Report – Lady Honorable Lady Roseia Poseia
Nothing to report.
Webminister’s Report – Lord Rúni inn írski
- Chatelaine, Scholastica, Philadelphia, and ‘Milla Saunders’ approved for Bhakail List email group membership as of today.
- All officer memberships are in good standing.
- Website has been updated to the latest version of WordPress, and all plugins updated to current versions.
- Current managed mailing lists:
- Question for group: The Yule email addresses are still set to the people who managed the event in 2019. Do we want to assign someone else to these email accounts (e.g. Seneschal) or do we want to leave it alone for right now?
email@example.com: Maryna Borowska and Mari Clock van Hoorne
firstname.lastname@example.org: Martyn de Halliwell
email@example.com: Gisela Szabo
firstname.lastname@example.org: Maryna Borowska
Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust – Honorable Lady Livia Petralia
Nothing to report.
- Proposal for a Regional Demo Team – Lady Yasamin al-Sardaniya attended the meeting to discuss putting together a Regional Demo Team. This is an idea they have been working on in Buckland Cross. Having a dedicated team would benefit everyone and allow us to pool our resources and staff to hold more demos. This will get the word out about us and our activities. Reactions were favorable and Lady Yasamin will contact us to discuss the proposal in more detail.
- Ramparts Event – The event this past Saturday went well but wasn’t as well attended as the two prior events. For future events we will try to do a better job of announcing the event on Facebook and the Baronial list. Also need to put the event on the East Kingdom calendar and make sure we don’t conflict with other events.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.