October 2020 Business Meeting Minutes
Coronet’s Report – Baron Muin maqq Minain
Greetings to the Barony of Bhakail;
This report sees the end of the Tyrant Summer, and hopefully the entrance of the Glorious Season of Harvest Smells, Hearty Foods, and Frost.
Thanks to those of you who have sent me your recommendations by the deadline, and who attended the Horse and the Salamander meetings. Life now living in this tech-bubble world of emails and on-line meetings is not always the best, but it is something we do to manage our mutual interests.
As of this writing We are looking forward to Our UnCommons Event Behind the Ramparts, on November 1st, which I have always found an especially festive day. And we are also looking forward to our Yule Behind the Ramparts to be held the second weekend in December. I hope to see you all there.
Baron of Bhakail
Seneschal’s Report – Honorable Lady Alesia de Maris of Ravenstar
The Kingdom is still in quarantine. But we continue to gather ethereally in our meetings, socials, classes and courts. Bhakail will have it’s first ethereal court on Sunday November 1st. I look forward to seeing everyone that day.
The Barony continues to conduct business and this month we vote on candidates for the office of Herald and MOL. And we have started martial activities again! We now have socially distanced thrown weapons practice and heavy weapons practice. There are rules regarding participation, please contact the Knight Marshal regarding heavy weapons practice and the Honorable Lord Mikael melrakki regarding thrown weapons.
In service to the Barony,
THL Alesia de Maris
Seneschal of Bhakail
Social Media Deputy – Baron Rowen Cloteworthy
Hello, hello, Bhakail! –
Minutes for the September meeting were posted to the website. Information is being distributed over email and FB for the upcoming UnCommons: Behind the Ramparts event on Sunday, 11/1. I still have to put information up on the website. Information is being shared about the Henry V production, starring several Bhakailis and friends of Bhakail, coming up on Sunday, 10/25. Six new people have joined the FB group in the last month. That’s all I have for now.
In service to Baron and Barony,
Exchequer’s Report – Mistress Philadelphia Brown
Working on third quarter report.
Chamberlain’s Report – Honorable Lord Bryan Mac Dhunghaill an Boghadair
Not much to report. With the pandemic, just waiting to life to return to somewhat of normality.
In service to the East,
– THL Bryan Mac Dhungiall an Boghadair
Herald’s Report – Lady Ragna Grímólfsdóttir
From the Eastern Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI) – This letter includes all new names and devices that have been submitted to the Eastern College of Heralds in the last month. It takes about two months for items to reach the next stage, the Eastern Letter of Decision.
– Rowen Cloteworthy has submitted a new household name (Cloteworthy Manor), new badge ((Fieldless) A millrind within and conjoined to a mascle gules)), and resubmitted a new Augmentation of Arms (Lozengy argent and sable, a chief gules and for an augmentation a canton purpure charged with four millrinds in cross within a bordure Or).
From the Eastern Letter of Decision (LoD) – This letter reports what items will be forwarded to Laurel to be decided on and what will be returned to the submitter for more work. It takes about six more months for submissions to reach the next stage, the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns.
— Jacqueline Cross’ new name change (Jacqueline Cross) has been forwarded on to Laurel.
From the Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR) – This letter says what items have been accepted by SCA’s College of Arms and what has been returned to the submitter unregistered.
— Aurelia Alfaiata d’Alcaçova’s new device (Per chevron sable and vert, a chevron ermine between two pairs of threaded needles in saltire and an owl maintaining a carnation slipped and leaved Or) was accepted.
— Iriniia Mieszkowna’s new device (Per pale azure and argent, two sparrows rising respectant counterchanged argent and sable) and new badge ((Fieldless) A sparrow rising contourny maintaining a chasing hammer and an artist’s paintbrush both inverted in saltire sable)) have been accepted.
If you are currently unsure of the status of your name or device, please contact me at email@example.com and I will provide you with an update.
Chronicler’s Report – Lady Triona MacCasky
Nothing to report.
Knight Marshal’s Report – Lord Egill Illugasson
Practice continues to be on hold for the time being. A request was made for funds to purchase battery operated floodlights, so that outdoor practices might be able to be held, taking into account the shorter days.
Rapier Marshal’s Report – Don Melchior Kriebel
Practices are canceled until further notice.
Minister of the Lists’ Report – Mistress Judith the Confused
Greetings unto all,
The Society is still on lockdown for events so there have been no in-person events. Kudos to the equestrian community for holding a virtual tournament. The commentary by their Majesties was hilarious. (It can be seen on YouTube for those who missed it.)
As we have elections this month, we hope to have a new MOL starting soon. Kindly continue to show the joy, courtesy and support that you have shown us all these years and a special shout out to all the Marshals and MOLs who have been there for us all. I likely will still see you on the list fields.
Yours in Service,
Gisela and Judith
Chataleine’s Report – Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
The only thing I have to report from the office of the Chatelaine is a new deputy! Scholastica Capellaria (mka Caitlin Binkhorst) has agreed to become Deputy Chatelaine and she has already done an amazing job. She has been active in the SCA and Bhakail since she started and I know she will make a fabulous addition!
Lady Chana Freidl the Maker
Chatelaine, Barony of Bhakail
Minister of Arts & Sciences’ Report – Lady Maryna Borowska
The East Kingdom continues to host virtual A&S classes and discussions, check their website for details. Kingdom A&S Champions competition information has also been announced.
Chancellor Minor’s Report – Lady Honorable Lady Roseia Poseia
With this Covid virus issue still continuing and all events are on hold, I have nothing to report this month.
Webminister’s Report – Lord Rúni inn írski
Nothing new to report this month.
Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust – Honorable Lady Livia Petralia
- Lights for fight practice – Our Knight Marshall has requested funds to purchase battery-operated flood lights to facilitate practices now that we are allowed to hold outdoor practices with certain restrictions, but yet the days are growing shorter. He is currently looking to hold practice in Fairmount Park, however some questions were raised about the legality of using the flood lights in the park. The decision on the funds was tabled until the park could be checked with to make sure that we are allowed to use the lights.
- Minister of the Lists – The office of the Minister of Lists was voted upon at the meeting. There were two candidates, Mistress Gisela Szabo and the Honorable Lord Mikael melrakki. Mistress Gisela indicated that she was willing to step aside should another candidate put their name in. A vote of confidence was taken and Mikael is the new MoL. We thank Mistress Judith the Confused and Mistress Gisela for their long service to the Barony. Vivant!
- Herald – The office of Herald was also up for election. Lady Ragna Grímólfsdóttir had submitted her intent to remain as Herald, and Lady Maryna Borowska also submitted her name. Unfortunately, as Maryna is currently our Mistress of Arts and Sciences, the Seneschal was unable to accept her letter of intent. A vote of confidence was held and Lady Ragna was approved for another term.
- Chatelaine – Our Chatelaine’s term of office is expiring in December. The Seneschal is currently accepting Letters of Intent for anyone wishing to apply for this position. A vote will be taken at the December meeting.
- Shire Wars – As so many other things that have moved to the ethereal world so has Shire Wars. It will now take place virtually on Saturday, November 7th. Please see the event announcement below.
The Once and Future Shire Wars
I am Lord Eleazar ha-Levi of the Shire of Blak Rose. As Event Steward, it is my honor to invite the populace of the Western Reaches (and anybody else) to Shire Wars IX.i or “The Once and Future Shire Wars”, a virtual event being held on Saturday, November 7, 2020 from 10 AM to 8 PM.
The event will feature:
- An A&S Display, “A Journal of the Plague Year” with the Artisans of the East invited to submit projects that they have finished (or nearly finished) since March 1, 2020, when we suddenly found ourselves with all that extra “free time” on our hands. This is a display, not a competition.
- An SCAvenger Hunt in which teams will compete by sending in pictures of their doing any or all of the 46 activities listed. (For example, make two boffer weapons and have a battle; paint your face with your heraldic device, football fan style; write your weekly shopping list in a calligraphic font; the full list is available at our website. Some are harder than others.) Register now and start planning which ones you want to do. You can start sending in the pictures on November 4. The populace will pick the winners.
- A Largesse Derby to gather items for Their Majesty’s coffers. This is a contest open to individual adults, teams, or children. Judging will be done by the populace on the day of the event. Rules for the completion are at our website.
- A pair of martial challenges:
- The “Online Shire Wars Martial Workout”, which is open to heavy weapons fighters, fencers, and anyone else who wants a good workout. Awards for best performance, best site for the workout, etc.
- A Speedwork Challenge: Number of strikes at a pell in one minute, open to both heavy weapons fighters and fencers. Awards for most strikes (with points off for bad form), but also for most interesting attack and most interesting decorated pell.
- Classes – martial, A&S, and children’s activities. (Teachers welcome, see our website.)
- A virtual feast by Mistress Tirza bithe Reaboughes. Yes, a virtual feast; see our website for details on how we’re going to do it.
- Possibly a set of bardic activities. This is still to be worked out; a coordinator is needed. Contact the autocrat at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Details may be found at our website: http://shirewars.eastkingdom.org. Looking forward to welcoming you to our event.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.